The division of Acute Pain Management consists of a staff of physicians and nurses that provide full time care for inpatients with both surgical and non-surgical pain. Functioning as both a consultative and regional anesthesia service we are able to aid in the care of patients with a wide variety of painful conditions. Our educational mission includes teaching of both anesthesia residents as well as physician residents rotating from other departments and medical students.
- Christopher Page, MD is the Director of Acute Pain Management.
- Ramon Abola, MD directs the Anesthesia Patient Care Dashboard Research Project. He is an Associate Editor for BMC Anesthesiology.
- Michelle DeLemos, MD is the Assistant Residency Program Director for the Clinical Base Year. In addition she has a very active role in residency selection.
- Ana Kogan, MD kicks off our "All Day Education Wednesday" with a 6:30 am Keyword Review session for all Residents.
- Sherwin Park, MD.
- Matthew F. Tito, MD.
Residents will learn to start and manage intravenous patient-controlled analgesia, place and manage thoracic and lumbar epidural catheters, perform peripheral nerve and plexus blockade, and place peripheral nerve catheters. Ultrasound guided techniques in regional analgesia are emphasized using the latest and most advanced equipment. Residents will have ample opportunity to act as consultants for both cancer pain management (narcotic therapy, CT-guided nerve blockade including neurolytic blocks, spinal opioid therapy, adjuvant therapies), and acute pain management for patients with chronic benign pain.
- PGY-1: two-week rotation with the goal of learning the basics of inpatient pain management
- CA-1: PACU rotation, starting PCA’s, placement of epidural and peripheral nerve catheters
- CA-2: four-week rotation, improve thoracic epidural catheter skills, beginner and intermediate level nerve blocks
- CA-3: two-week rotation to improve skills in regional anesthesia
- CA-3: elective rotation to develop advanced regional anesthesia techniques and to engage in research
Recent Division Activity
Recent PublicationsResident authors denoted by bold type
- Noll E, Shodhan S, Madariaga MC, Page CR, Santangelo D, Guo X, Al Bizri E, Pryor AD, Romeiser J, Bennett-Guerrero E. Randomized trial of acupressure to improve patient satisfaction and quality of recovery in hospitalized patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2017 Mar 7;18(1):110.
- Abola RE, Gan TJ. Preoperative Fasting Guidelines: Why Are We Not Following Them?: The Time to Act Is NOW. Anesth Analg. 2017 Apr;124(4):1041-1043.
- Abola RE, Schabel J. The unusual use of epidural anesthesia for effective treatment of transfusion related circulatory overload in a parturient. Case Reports in Perinatal Medicine. 2017; 6(2):
- Abola RE, Romeiser J, Grewal S, Rizwan S, Adsumelli R, Steinberg E, Bennett-Guerrero E. Association of postoperative nausea/vomiting and pain with breastfeeding success. Perioper Med (Lond). 2017 Nov 22;6:18.
- Hedrick TL, McEvoy MD, Mythen MMG, Bergamaschi R, Gupta R, Holubar SD, Senagore AJ, Gan TJ, Shaw AD, Thacker JKM, Miller TE, Wischmeyer PE, Carli F, Evans DC, Guilbert S, Kozar R, Pryor A, Thiele RH, Everett S, Grocott M, Abola RE, Bennett-Guerrero E, Kent ML, Feldman LS, Fiore JF Jr; Perioperative Quality Initiative (POQI) 2 Workgroup. American Society for Enhanced Recovery and Perioperative Quality Initiative Joint Consensus Statement on Postoperative Gastrointestinal Dysfunction Within an Enhanced Recovery Pathway for Elective Colorectal Surgery. Anesth Analg. 2017 Dec 29.
- Abola RE, Bennett-Guerrero E, Kent ML, Feldman LS, Fiore JF Jr, Shaw AD, Thacker JKM, Gan TJ, Miller TE, Hedrick TL, McEvoy MD, Mythen MMG, Bergamaschi R, Gupta R, Holubar SD, Senagore AJ, Wischmeyer PE, Carli F, Evans DC, Guilbert S, Kozar R, Pryor A, Thiele RH, Everett S, Grocott M; Perioperative Quality Initiative (POQI) 2 Workgroup. American Society for Enhanced Recovery and Perioperative Quality Initiative Joint Consensus Statement on Patient-Reported Outcomes in an Enhanced Recovery Pathway. Anesth Analg. 2017 Dec 29.
- Wischmeyer PE, Carli F, Evans DC, Guilbert S, Kozar R, Pryor A, Thiele RH, Everett S, Grocott M, Gan TJ, Shaw AD, Thacker JKM, Miller TE, Hedrick TL, McEvoy MD, Mythen G, Bergamaschi R, Gupta R, Holubar SD, Senagore AJ, Abola RE, Bennett-Guerrero E, Kent ML, Feldman LS, Fiore JF Jr; Perioperative Quality Initiative (POQI) 2 Workgroup. American Society for Enhanced Recovery and Perioperative Quality Initiative Joint Consensus Statement on Nutrition Screening and Therapy Within a Surgical Enhanced Recovery Pathway. Anesth Analg. 2018 Jan 23.
- Santangelo D, Page CR, Danesi H, Jones JB, Joshi N, Wilcox SB, Sneeringer P, Phipps JB. Human Factors Results for Fentanyl Iontophoretic Transdermal System (ITS) With Enhanced Controller for Postoperative Pain Management. J Perianesth Nurs. 2018 Aug;33(4):537-550.
- Abola R, Gan TJ. Fluid Management in the Ambulatory, Gynecological and Obstetric Patient. In: Fluid Therapy in the Surgical Patient. Svensen C, Prough D, Feldman L and Gan TJ, editors. CRC Press 2018
- Na Javeed S, Kogan A.
General: The Asthmatic Patient.
In: Anesthesiology Applied Exam Board Review. 2018. Gupta R, Tran MCJ, eds. Oxford University Press
- Noll E, Shodhan S, Romeiser JL, Madariaga MC, Page C, Santangelo D, Guo X, Pryor AD, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E.
A randomised controlled pragmatic trial of acupressure therapy on quality of recovery after surgery.
Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2019 Apr 5.
- Bacon J, Kogan A, Richman D.
When to Call Code H: Challenges to Managing Acute ST Depressions in the Intraoperative Setting.
- Weng M, Gonzalez A, Brown A, Steinberg E, Kogan A, Costa A.
Anesthetic Management of an Obstetric Patient With Placenta Percreta.
- Abola RE, Romeiser J, Rizwa S, Gupta R, Bennett-Guerrero E.
Randomized Controlled Trial of Sugammadex versus Neostigmine for Reversal of Neuromuscular Blockade: Impact on Measures of Early Postoperative Strength. ASA 2018
- Abola RE, Lian X, Zhang J, Adsumelli RS, Romeiser J, Blaber J, Griffin T, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E. Evaluation of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Program for Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery. ASA 2018
- Abola RE, Lian X, Zhang J, Adsumelli RS, Romeiser J, Blaber J, Griffin T, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E. Prospective Assessment of A Preoperative Carbohydrate Beverage as Part of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Program for Gynecological Surgery. ASA 2018
- Gupta R, Romeiser J, Denoya P, Setaro J, Page CR, Kitterle S, Gan TJ.
Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Program Shortens Hospital Length of Stay and Reduced Opioid Consumption in Colorectal Surgical Patients.
- Zhang J, Lian X, Abola R, Adsumelli R, Romeiser J, Kim E, Weerasooriya N, Blaber J, Griffin T, Bennett-Guerrero E.
Evaluation of an Enhanced Recovery Pathway For Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery.
American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists Congress, Nov 2019
- Romeiser JL, Abola R, Cavalcante J, Steinberg E, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guererro E.
Feasibility of Collecting Patient Reported Outcomes Using Web-Based Methods in Labor and Delivery Patients.