All doctoral candidates in good standing receive a full tuition scholarship and annual stipend. Stipends for the year 2009-2010 are $26,500. The stipend compensates for living costs, such as, university fees, medical insurance, books, room and board. Sources of funding are teaching and research assistantships, or individual faculty research grants. A modest allowance is available for research related travel. Students are encouraged to apply for extramural funding to support their research.
Living and Housing Costs
- On-campus housing costs are approximately $6200 for room and board.
- Off-campus housing is also available in surrounding communities. Prices vary widely. An automobile is advisable for those students living off-campus.
Students wanting health insurance must enroll. To learn about costs and benefits:
- Click here to learn about State Graduate Student Employee benefits.
- Click here to learn about Research Foundation of SUNY benefits.
The Graduate Student Employee Health Insurance office is located in the Student Health Center (Infirmary).
Office Hours: 8:30AM - 4:30PM
Phone: (631) 632-6144
From the stipend, students are expected to cover personal expenses such as room and board, health insurance, and University fees. University fees vary slightly, but run approximately $850 annually. Unpaid fees will result in a registration block and late charges.
Typical costs per semester are composed of:
- College fee $12.50
- Infirmary fee $138.50
- Technology fee $199.50
- Transportation fee $121.00
- Activity fee $25.00
- Insurance costs vary depending upon type of support. Visit the Health Insurance link above for current information. Information about Health Insurance
International Students: All students on nonimmigrant visas are required to take health insurance. In addition to the charges listed above, there is an annual charge of approximately $30.00 for medical evacuation and repatriation, and an approximately $100.00 staffing international programs fee. more...