- Professor of Surgery and Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs
- Chief, Bariatric, Foregut, and Advanced Gastrointestinal Surgery Division
- Director, Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center
- Director, Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery Fellowship
- See video of Dr. Pryor (1:13 min)
- Duke University (1995)
- General Surgery, Duke University Medical Center
- Laparoscopic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center
Affiliated Specialty Centers
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center
- Heartburn and Esophageal Center
- Hernia Center
- Advanced laparoscopic and bariatric surgery
- Surgical management of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD; acid reflux; heartburn)
- LINX band for GERD (video)
- Esophageal cancer
- Laparoscopic management of colon, stomach, pancreatic, and adrenal disease
- Laparoscopic splenectomy
- Management of diaphragmatic hernia
- Endoscopic and novel therapies for GI disease
- Single-site laparoscopic surgery
- Surgical weight loss
- Gastric bypass
- Lap band
- Sleeve gastrectomy
Division of Bariatric, Foregut, and Advanced Gastrointestinal Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T18-040
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
Tel: 631-444-2274 (bariatric surgery)
Tel: 631-638-3969 (general surgery)
- Personal Statement
My personal philosophy is to tailor care decisions to each patient as an individual. I use the latest technology and treatments to minimize the recovery time from treatment and to maximize the benefits.
For weight loss, my team and I help patients find the best way to establish and maintain a healthy, active life. We work together to select options for surgery, medical management, exercise, and nutrition.
- Recipient, Outstanding Mentor Award, Stony Brook University (2019)
- Elected to presidency of Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) (2018-20)
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, America's Top Doctors
- Selected for inclusion in Newsday's "Top Doctors on Long Island"
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to America's Top Surgeons (Consumers' Research Council of America)
- General Surgery Leadership Award, American College of Surgeons (2017)
- Excellence in Medical Leadership Award, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES; 2017)
- Blue Cross-Blue Shield Bariatric Centers of Distinction Advisory Board (2011-2013)
- Appointment as American Board of Surgery Associate Examiner (2008)
- Weck Closure Systems Award for Excellence in Basic Science, First Place (1999)
- National Research Service Award (1997-1999)
- Association for Academic Surgery Medical Student Research Award (1995)
"Atlas of Laparoscopic Surgery comprises 31 chapters with authoritative commentaries and illustrations in a number of surgical procedures amenable to laparoscopic techniques. This atlas text is a tool that will simplify and organize surgical thought for the advanced laparoscopist."
"The latest edition of this text provides a practical reference for physicians and other healthcare providers caring for patients with gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding. Similar to the previous edition published in 2010, this volume addresses common problems associated with GI bleeding and discusses in a logical and step-wise fashion appropriate options for patient care. The text is structured based on the location of bleeding, with common, rare and unknown sources being addressed. It also includes updated and new chapters focusing on the newest advances in imaging and interventional modalities in the care of patients with GI bleeding, as well as highly practical presentations of typical patients seen in clinical practice."
- The SAGES Manual: Ethics of Surgical Innovation. New York: Springer, 2016.
"The SAGES Manual: Ethics of Surgical Innovation provides a comprehensive review of the ethical issues involved with the development, evaluation, and introduction of new treatments of gastrointestinal diseases. How several landmark surgical innovations were developed are described to show the challenges faced, and the ethical dilemmas these innovators dealt with. The challenges of dealing with regulatory issues, and how to work with industry partners, and investors when working on a new therapy is described. This text is a resource for surgeons, researchers, and health policy personnel to understand the ethical issues related to the development, introduction, and adoption of innovative therapies for gastrointestinal diseases."
JOURNAL ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- > Click here to see abstracts/full text of Dr. Pryor's journal articles presented in reverse chronological order, starting with most recent, on PubMed (National Library of Medicine).
- Alli VV, Yang J, Xu J, Bates AT, Pryor AD, Talamini MA, Telem DA. Nineteen-year trends in incidence and indications for laparoscopic cholecystectomy: the NY State experience. Surg Endosc 2017;31:1651-8.
- Altieri MS, Frenkel C, Scriven R, Thornton D, Halbert C, Talamini M, Telem DA, Pryor AD. Effect of minimally invasive surgery fellowship on residents' operative experience. Surg Endosc 2017;31:107-11.
- Altieri MS, Pagnotti G, Corthals A, Shroyer K, Pryor AD, Talamini M, Telem DA. Autologous augmentation of hiatal hernia repair with filtered platelet concentrate improves tissue remodeling in a swine model. Surg Endosc 2017;31:1591-8.
- Altieri MS, Pryor AD. Diagnosis and management of bleeding small bowel tumors. In: Pryor AD, Pappas TN, Branch MS, editors. Gastrointestinal Bleeding: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Management. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2016: 89-102.
- Altieri MS, Pryor AD. Gastroesophageal reflux disease after bariatric procedures. Surg Clin North Am 2015;95:579-91.
- Altieri M, Pryor AD. Gastroesophageal reflux disease in the bariatric surgery patient. In: Brethauer SA, Schauer PR, Schirmer BD, editors. Minimally Invasive Bariatric Surgery. 2d ed. New York: Springer, 2015: 433-40.
- Altieri MS, Pryor A, Bates A, Docimo S, Talamini M, Spaniolas K. Bariatric procedures in adolescents are safe in accredited centers. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018;14:1368-72.
- Altieri MS, Pryor AD, Telem DA, Hall K, Brathwaite C, Zawin M. Algorithmic approach to utilization of CT scans for detection of internal hernia in the gastric bypass patient. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2015;11:1207-11.
- Altieri MS, Pryor A, Yang J, Yin D, Docimo S, Bates A, Talamini M, Spaniolas K. The natural history of perforated marginal ulcers after gastric bypass surgery. Surg Endosc 2018;32:1215-22.
- Altieri MS, Shroyer KR, Pryor A, Pagnotti GM, Ete Chan M, Talamini M, Telem DA. The association between sleeve gastrectomy and histopathologic changes consistent with esophagitis in a rodent model. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2015;11:1289-94.
- Altieri MS, Telem DA, Kim P, Gracia G, Pryor AD. Case review and consideration for imaging and work evaluation of the pregnant bariatric patient. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2015;11:667-71.
- Altieri MS, Tuppo C, Telem DA, Herlihy D, Cottell K, Pryor AD. Predictors of a successful medical weight loss program. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2015;11:431-5.
- Altieri MS, Wright B, Peredo A, Pryor AD. Common weight loss procedures and their complications. Am J Emerg Med 2018;36:475-9.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Bevilacqua L, Zhu C, Talamini M, Pryor AD. Women are underrepresented as top surgical performers as assessed by case volumes in the state of New York. Am J Surg 2018;216:666-71.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Groves D, Obeid N, Park J, Talamini M, Pryor A. Sleeve gastrectomy: the first 3 years: evaluation of emergency department visits, readmissions, and reoperations for 14,080 patients in New York State. Surg Endosc 2018;32:1209-14.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Groves D, Yin D, Cagino K, Talamini M, Pryor A. Academic status does not affect outcome following complex hepato-pancreato-biliary procedures. Surg Endosc 2018;32:2355-64.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Jones T, Voronina A, Zhang M, Kokkosis A, Talamini M, Pryor AD. Incidence of ventral hernia repair after open abdominal aortic aneurysm and open aortofemoral or aortoiliac bypass surgery: an analysis of 17,594 patients in the state of New York. Am Surg 2018;84:1388-93.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Nie L, Blackstone R, Spaniolas K, Pryor A. Rate of revisions or conversion after bariatric surgery over 10 years in the state of New York. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018;14:500-7.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Obeid N, Zhu C, Talamini M, Pryor A. Increasing bile duct injury and decreasing utilization of intraoperative cholangiogram and common bile duct exploration over 14 years: an analysis of outcomes in New York State. Surg Endosc 2018;32:667-74.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Park J, Novikov D, Kang L, Spaniolas K, Bates A, Talamini M, Pryor A. Utilization of body contouring procedures following weight loss surgery: a study of 37,806 patients. Obes Surg 2017;27:2981-7.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Telem DA, Chen H, Talamini M, Pryor A. Robotic-assisted outcomes are not tied to surgeon volume and experience. Surg Endosc 2016;30:2825-33.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Telem DA, Meng Z, Frenkel C, Halbert C, Talamini M, Pryor AD. Lap band outcomes from 19,221 patients across centers and over a decade within the state of New York. Surg Endosc 2016;30:1725-32.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Telem DA, Zhu J, Halbert C, Talamini M, Pryor AD. Robotic approaches may offer benefit in colorectal procedures, more controversial in other areas: a review of 168,248 cases. Surg Endosc 2016;30:925-33.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Wang L, Yin D, Talamini M, Pryor AD. Surgeons' perceptions on industry relations: a survey of 822 surgeons. Surgery 2017;162:164-73.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Xu J, Talamini M, Pryor A, Telem DA. Outcomes after robotic ventral hernia repair: a study of 21,565 patients in the state of New York. Am Surg 2018;84:902-8.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Yin D, Frenkel C, Talamini M, Telem DA, Pryor A. Presence of a fellowship improves perioperative outcomes following hepatopancreatobiliary procedures. Surg Endosc 2017;31:2918-24.
- Altieri MS, Yang J, Zhu C, Sbayi S, Spaniolas K, Talamini M, Pryor A. What happens to biliary colic patients in New York State? 10-year follow-up from emergency department visits. Surg Endosc 2018;32:2058-66.
- Altieri MS, Zheng R, Pryor AD, Heimann A, Ahn S, Telem DA. Esophageal bronchogenic cyst and review of the literature. Surg Endosc 2015;29:3010-5.
- Bishawi M, Pryor AD. Should technical aptitude evaluation become part of resident selection for surgical residency? Surg Endosc 2014;28:2761-2.
- Brethauer SA, Pryor AD, Chand B, Schauer P, Rosenthal R, Richards W, Bessler M; American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Emerging Technologies Committee. Endoluminal procedures for bariatric patients: expectations among bariatric surgeons. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2009;5:231-6.
- Cagino K, Altieri MS, Yang J, Nie L, Talamini M, Spaniolas K, Denoya P, Pryor A. Effect of academic status on outcomes of surgery for rectal cancer. Surg Endosc 2018;32:2774-80.
- Ceppa EP, Park CW, Portenier DD, Pryor AD. Single-incision laparoscopic right colectomy: an efficient technique. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2012;22:88-94.
- Corey KE, Maynard C, Pahlm O, Wilkins ML, Anderson ST, Cerqueira MD, Pryor AD, Raitt MH, Startt Selvester RH, Turner J, Weaver WD, Wagner GS. Combined historical and electrocardiographic timing of acute anterior and inferior myocardial infarcts for prediction of reperfusion achievable size limitation. Am J Cardiol 1999;83:826-31.
- Dakin GF, Eid G, Mikami D, Pryor A, Chand B; American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) Emerging Technology and Procedures Committee. Endoluminal revision of gastric bypass for weight regain — a systematic review. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2013;9:335-42.
- de la Fuente SG, Demaria EJ, Reynolds JD, Portenier DD, Pryor AD. New developments in surgery: Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery (NOTES). Arch Surg 2007;142:295-7.
- Diesen DL, Erhunmwunsee L, Bennett K, Ben-David K, Yurcisin B, Ceppa EP, Omotosho PA, Perez A, Pryor AD. Effectiveness of laparoscopic computer simulator versus usage of box trainer for endoscopic surgery training of novices. J Surg Educ 2011;68:282-9.
- Docimo S Jr, Rahmana U, Bates A, Talamini M, Pryor A, Spaniolas K. Concomitant hiatal hernia repair is more common in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy than during laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an analysis of 130,772 cases. Obes Surg 2019;29:744-6.
- Evans JA, Branch MS, Pryor AD, Demaria EJ. Endoscopic closure of a gastrojejunal anastomotic leak (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2007;66:1225-6.
- Frenkel C, Telem DA, Pryor AD, Altieri MS, Shroyer KR, Regenbogen E. The effect of sleeve gastrectomy on extraesophageal reflux disease. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2016;12:1263-9.
- Ginsberg GG, Chand B, Cote GA, Dallal RM, Edmundowicz SA, Nguyen NT, Pryor A, Thompson CC. A pathway to endoscopic bariatric therapies. ASGE/ASMBS Task Force on Endoscopic Bariatric Therapy. Gastrointest Endosc 2011;74:943-53.
- Gracia GJ, Altieri M, Pryor AD. OBGYN and bariatric surgery. In: Foletto M, Rosenthal, RJ, editors. The Globesity Challenge to General Surgery. Milan: Springer, 2014: 187-212.
- Groves DK, Altieri MS, Sullivan B, Yang J, Talamini MA, Pryor AD. The presence of an advanced gastrointestinal (GI)/minimally invasive surgery (MIS) fellowship program does not impact short-term patient outcomes following fundoplication or esophagomyotomy. J Gastrointest Surg 2018;22:1870-80.
- Halbert C, Altieri MS, Yang J, Meng Z, Chen H, Talamini M, Pryor A, Parikh P, Telem DA. Long-term outcomes of patients with common bile duct injury following laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 2016;30:4294-9.
- Halbert C, Pagkratis S, Yang J, Meng Z, Altieri MS, Parikh P, Pryor A, Talamini M, Telem DA. Beyond the learning curve: incidence of bile duct injuries following laparoscopic cholecystectomy normalize to open in the modern era. Surg Endosc 2016;30:2239-43.
- Harnisch MC, Portenier DD, Pryor AD, Prince-Petersen R, Grant JP, DeMaria EJ. Preoperative weight gain does not predict failure of weight loss or co-morbidity resolution of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2008;4:445-50.
- Hymowitz G, Salwen J, Vivian D, Adamowicz J, Pryor A, Tuppo C, Cottell K, Kar HL. The Stony Brook University interdisciplinary approach to the management of morbid obesity. Behav Ther 2014;37:34-41.
- Johnson WH, Fecher AM, McMahon RL, Grant JP, Pryor AD. VersaStep trocar hernia rate in unclosed fascial defects in bariatric patients. Surg Endosc 2006;20:1584-6.
- Johnson WH, Fernanadez AZ, Farrell TM, Macdonald KG, Grant JP, McMahon RL, Pryor AD, Wolfe LG, DeMaria EJ. Surgical revision of loop ("mini") gastric bypass procedure: multicenter review of complications and conversions to Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2007;3:37-41.
- Kadera BE, Lum K, Grant J, Pryor AD, Portenier DD, DeMaria EJ. Remission of type 2 diabetes after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is associated with greater weight loss. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2009;5:305-9.
- Kim PS, Telem DA, Altieri MS, Talamini M, Yang J, Zhang Q, Pryor AD. Bariatric outcomes are significantly improved in hospitals with fellowship council-accredited bariatric fellowships. J Gastrointest Surg 2015;19:594-7.
- Klein G, Peredo A, Pryor AD. Bariatric surgery for obesity. AccessScience. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2014: http://www.accessscience.com/content/bariatric-surgery-for-obesity/YB14….
- Lamm R, Mathews SN, Yang J, Kang L, Telem D, Pryor AD, Talamini M, Genua J. 20-year trends in the management of diverticulitis across New York State: an analysis of 265,724 patients. J Gastrointest Surg 2017;21:78-84.
- Lamm R, Mathews SN, Yang J, Park J, Talamini M, Pryor AD, Telem D. Patient acuity and operative technique associated with post-colectomy mortality across New York State: an analysis of 160,792 patients over 20 years. J Gastrointest Surg 2017;21:879-84.
- Lee SM, Pryor AD. Future directions in bariatric surgery. Surg Clin North Am 2011;91:1373-95.
- Manson RJ, Pryor AD. Bipolar sealing increases mesenteric reach during bowel transection compared with stapled division: clinical evidence and laboratory support in a porcine model. Surg Endosc 2008;22:1894-8.
- Mathews SN, Lamm R, Yang J, Kang L, Telem D, Pryor AD, Talamini M, Genua J. Factors associated with repeated health resource utilization in patients with diverticulitis. J Gastrointest Surg 2017;21:112-20.
- Mink R, Caputo G, Fried E, Hofkosh D, Le-Bucklin KV, McMillan J, Muchmore E, Pryor A, Vargo D, Bale J Jr. Delaying the pediatric fellowship start date to improve trainee well-being. J Pediatr 2015;167:222-3.
- Myers CJ, Mutafyan G, Pryor AD, Reynolds J, DeMaria EJ. Mucosal and serosal changes after gastric stapling determined by a new "real-time" surface tissue oxygenation probe: a pilot study. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2010;6:50-3.
- Noll E, Shodhan S, Madariaga MC, Page CR, Santangelo D, Guo X, Al Bizri E, Pryor AD, Romeiser J, Bennett-Guerrero E. Randomized trial of acupressure to improve patient satisfaction and quality of recovery in hospitalized patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2017;18:110.
- Obeid NR, Altieri MS, Yang J, Park J, Price K, Bates A, Pryor AD. Patterns of reoperation after failed fundoplication: an analysis of 9462 patients. Surg Endosc 2018;32:345-50.
- Obeid NR, Pryor AD. Is the adjustable gastric band dead? Ann Surg 2017;265:446-7.
- Park CW, Pryor AD. Laparoscopic repair of a large pericardial hernia. Surg Endosc 2013;27:2971-3.
- Park CW, Pryor AD. Single site fundoplication and foregut procedures. Dig Liver Dis 2011;43:358-60.
- Petersen RP, Pryor AD. The unstable patient with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding: surgical and nonsurgical management. In: Pryor AD, Pappas TN, Branch MS, editors. Gastrointestinal Bleeding: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Management. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2016: 211-18.
- Pryor A, Gracia G. Abdominal access techniques used in laparoscopic surgery. UpToDate 2014 Aug 7. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/abdominal-access-techniques-used-in-la….
- Pryor AD. Bariatric reoperative surgery for gastrogastric fistulae, marginal ulcers and metabolic syndrome. Audio-Digest General Surgery 2012;59(20).
- Pryor AD. How to choose a bariatric procedure after failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Audio-Digest General Surgery 2012;59(20).
- Pryor AD. Laparoscopic gastrectomy. In :Fischer JE, Jones DB, Pomposelli FB, Upchurch GR, editors. Fischer's Mastery of Surgery. 6th ed. New York: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2012.
- Pryor AD. Laparoscopic truncal vagotomy with antrectomy and Billroth I reconstruction. In: Nussbaum M, editor. Master Techniques in Surgery: Gastric Surgery. New York: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2012.
- Pryor AD. Surgical evolution: collaboration is the key. Arch Surg 2005;140:237-40.
- Pryor AD; SAGES Research and Career Development Committee. A monograph for academic career development. Surg Endosc 2010;24:1211-2.
- Qureshi A, Vergis A, Jimenez C, Green J, Pryor A, Schlachta CM, Okrainec A. MIS training in Canada: a national survey of general surgery residents. Surg Endosc 2011;25:3057-65.
- Rahman U, Docimo S, Pryor AD, Bates A, Obeid NR, Spaniolas K. Routine contrast imaging after bariatric surgery and the effect on hospital length of stay. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018;14:517-20.
- Rawlings A, Soper NJ, Oelschlager B, Swanstrom L, Matthews BD, Pellegrini C, Pierce RA, Pryor A, Martin V, Frisella MM, Cassera M, Brunt LM. Laparoscopic Dor versus Toupet fundoplication following Heller myotomy for achalasia: results of a multicenter, prospective, randomized-controlled trial. Surg Endosc 2012;26:18-26.
- Roller JE, de la Fuente SG, DeMaria EJ, Pryor AD. Laparoscopic Heller myotomy using hook electrocautery: a safe, simple, and inexpensive alternative. Surg Endosc 2009;23:602-5.
- Ross S, Rosemurgy A, Albrink M, Choung E, Dapri G, Gallagher S, Hernandez J, Horgan S, Kelley W, Kia M, Marks J, Martinez J, Mintz Y, Oleynikov D, Pryor A, Rattner D, Rivas H, Roberts K, Rubach E, Schwaitzberg S, Swanstrom L, Sweeney J, Wilson E, Zemon H, Zundel N. Consensus statement of the consortium for LESS cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 2012;26:2711-6.
- Salwen JK, Hymowitz GF, O'Leary KD, Pryor AD, Vivian D. Childhood verbal abuse: a risk factor for depression in pre-bariatric surgery psychological evaluations. Obes Surg 2014;24:1572-5.
- Spaniolas K, Bates AT, Docimo S Jr, Obeid NR, Talamini MA, Pryor AD. Single stage conversion from adjustable gastric banding to sleeve gastrectomy or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an analysis of 4875 patients. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2017;13:1880-4.
- Stefanidis D, Montero P, Urbach DR, Qureshi A, Perry K, Bachman SL, Madan A, Petersen R, Pryor AD. SAGES research agenda in gastrointestinal and endoscopic surgery: updated results of a Delphi study. Surg Endosc 2014;28:2763-71.
- Telem DA, Altieri M, Gracia G, Pryor AD. Perioperative outcome of esophageal fundoplication for gastroesophageal reflux disease in obese and morbidly obese patients. Am J Surg 2014;208:163-8.
- Telem DA, Pryor AD. Google Trends: is it a real tool to predict the future of bariatric surgery or merely a marketing landmine? Surg Obes Relat Dis 2014;10:538-9.
- Telem DA, Talamini M, Altieri M, Yang J, Zhang Q, Pryor AD. The effect of national hospital accreditation in bariatric surgery on perioperative outcomes and long-term mortality. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2015;11:749-57.
- Telem DA, Talamini M, Gesten F, Patterson W, Peoples B, Gracia G, Yang J, Zhang Q, Altieri M, Pryor AD. Hospital admissions greater than 30 days following bariatric surgery: patient and procedure matter. Surg Endosc 2015;29:1310-5.
- Telem DA, Talamini M, Shroyer AL, Yang J, Altieri M, Zhang Q, Gracia G, Pryor AD. Long-term mortality rates (>8-year) improve as compared to the general and obese population following bariatric surgery. Surg Endosc 2015;29:529-36.
- Telem DA, Yang J, Altieri M, Patterson W, Peoples B, Chen H, Talamini M, Pryor AD. Rates and risk factors for unplanned emergency department utilization and hospital readmission following bariatric surgery. Ann Surg 2016;263:956-60.
- Telem DA, Yang J, Altieri M, Talamini M, Zhang Q, Pryor AD. Hospital charge and health-care quality in bariatric surgery. Am Surg 2017;83:170-5.
- Urbach DR, Horvath KD, Baxter NN, Jobe BA, Madan AK, Pryor AD, Khaitan L, Torquati A, Brower ST, Trus TL, Schwaitzberg S. A research agenda for gastrointestinal and endoscopic surgery. Surg Endosc 2007;21:1518-25.
- Verma R, Eid G, Ali M, Saber A, Pryor AD; ASMBS Emerging Technologies and Procedures Committee. Emerging technologies and procedures: results of an online survey and real-time poll. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2015;11:161-8.
- Verma R, Grechushkin V, Carter D, Barish M, Pryor A, Telem D. Use and accuracy of computed tomography scan in diagnosing perforated appendicitis. Am Surg 2015;81:404-7.
- Villamizar N, Pryor AD. Safety, effectiveness, and cost effectiveness of metabolic surgery in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Obes 2011;790683.
- Villamizar N, Pryor AD. SPIDER and Flexible Laparoscopy: The Next Frontier in Abdominal Surgery. Surg Technol Int 2010;20:53-8.
- Wang L, Pryor AD, Altieri MS, Romeiser JL, Talamini MA, Shroyer L, Telem DA. Perioperative rates of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in normal weight vs obese and morbidly obese surgical patients in the era post venous thromboembolism prophylaxis guidelines. Am J Surg 2015;210:859-63.
- Weis JJ, Goldblatt M, Pryor A, Dunkin BJ, Brunt LM, Jones DB, Scott DJ. SAGES’s advanced GI/MIS fellowship curriculum pilot project. Surg Endosc 2018;32:2613-9.
- Wilkins ML, Anderson ST, Pryor AD, Weaver WD, Wagner GS. Variability of acute ST-segment predicted myocardial infarct size in the absence of thrombolytic therapy. Am J Cardiol 1994;74:174-7.
- Wilkins ML, Maynard C, Annex BH, Clemmensen P, Elias WJ, Gibson RS, Lee KL, Pryor AD, Selker H, Turner J, Weaver WD, Anderson ST, Wagner GS. Admission prediction of expected final myocardial infarct size using weighted ST-segment, Q wave, and T wave measurements. J Electrocardiol 1997;30:1-7.
- Wilkins ML, Pryor AD, Maynard C, Wagner NB, Elias WJ, Litwin PE, Pahlm O, Selvester RH, Weaver WD, Wagner GS, et al. An electrocardiographic acuteness score for quantifying the timing of a myocardial infarction to guide decisions regarding reperfusion therapy. Am J Cardiol 1995;75:617-20.
- Yoo, JS, Pryor AD. Abdominal access techniques used in laparoscopic surgery. UpToDate. 2011-2012.
- Zheng R, Altieri MS, Yang J, Chen H, Pryor AD, Bates A, Talamini MA, Telem DA. Long-term incidence of contralateral primary hernia repair following unilateral inguinal hernia repair in a cohort of 32,834 patients. Surg Endosc 2017;31:817-22.
- Zhu C, Pryor AD. Innovations in bariatric surgery. Surg Technol Int 2015;27:129-35.
- > Click here to see abstracts/full text of Dr. Pryor's journal articles presented in reverse chronological order, starting with most recent, on PubMed (National Library of Medicine).
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- President, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (2018-20)
- Second Vice President, Fellowship Council
- Associate Examiner, American Board of Surgery
- Consultant, American Board of Surgery
- Member, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (Executive Council, Councilperson-at-Large)
- Member, American Surgical Association
- Member, Association for Academic Surgery
- Member, Association for Program Directors in Surgery
- Member, Association of Women Surgeons
- Member, American Board of Surgery’s Gastrointestinal Surgery Advisory Council
- Member, International Society of Surgery
- Member, North Carolina Medical Society
- Member, Sabiston Surgical Society
- Member, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Member, Society of University Surgeons