- Knapp Swezey Chair in Pediatric Surgery
- Professor of Surgery
- Chief, Pediatric Surgery Division
- See video of Dr. Muratore (1:04 min)
- Georgetown University (1995)
- General Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Pediatric Surgery, Children’s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA
Affiliated Specialty Centers
- Surgical management of congenital and acquired anomalies/diseases of the neck, chest, abdomen, anorectum, and soft tissues in children (newborns to adolescents aged 17 years), including, but not limited to, congenital anomalies of the esophagus
- Fetal surgery for severe congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Fetal management of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation / life support (ECMO / ECLS)
- Trauma and critical care
- Surgical oncology
- Pectus chest wall anomalies
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
- Complex vascular and lymphatic malformations
- Omphalocele and gastroschisis
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Inguinal hernias
- Undescended testes
- Tumors of the kidneys, adrenal glands, gastrointestinal tract, lymphatics, and soft tissues
- Surgical consultation in pediatric trauma
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery
Division of Pediatric Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-090
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
- Personal Statement
I've always wanted to "make a difference" — you hear that all the time, but I chose to pursue pediatric surgery because it gave me the opportunity to be part of something bigger than just me. The risks are higher, but the rewards are so much greater.
Most of the time, children who need surgery are not able to be treated by pediatric surgeons. As division chief, my goal is to ensure more young patients have access to surgical care that's age appropriate, from physicians who are affable, accessible, and available.
My commitment as a surgeon is to provide children of all ages the surgical care they need, and help them to get back into the swing of their lives.
- American College of Surgeons – New England Surgical Society: Health Policy Scholarship. Leadership Program in Health Policy and Management. Brandeis University's Heller School for Social Policy and Management (2016)
- Dean's Teaching Excellence Award. Warren Alpert Medical School, Providence, RI (2015)
- Risk Management Grant program, $20,000 research grant entitled Improving ECMO Team performance through patient simulation. Loss Prevention Funding, Lifespan. Providence, RI. 2011-17
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Award, Warren Alpert Medical School, Providence, RI. Department of Surgery (2006-2007)
- The Rhode Island Foundation, $10,000 research grant entitled Cellular andMolecular Regulation Lung Development Following Tracheal Occlusion. Providence, RI (2006)
- Sidney Farber House Staff Award, Children’s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA (2005)
- Von L. Meyer Fellowship Fund Award, Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA (2004)
- Academic Achievement in Biology, Syracuse University (1990)
- Research to advance extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), in particular anticoagulation safety. I have an active interest in the outcomes of ECMO, patients with congenital diaphragmatic hernia, pulmonary hypertension, and adults with acute respiratory distress syndrome who require ECMO.
Another area of translational investigation is the liver and understanding its intrinsic capacity to repair itself and recover from inflammatory insults such as those associated with neonatal gastrointestinal complications from gastroschisis and necrotizing enterocolitis.
- Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2017.
"The previous edition of this book was based on a simple but essential philosophy: provide a practical and up-to-date resource for the practicing surgeon detailing the specific needs and special considerations surrounding the surgical care of children. The second edition of Fundamentals of Pediatric Surgery stays true to the philosophy of the original with several significant enhancements. As well as encompassing the most up-to-date and practical clinical information for the experienced surgeon written in a straightforward narrative style, each chapter provides a rationale for the proposed approach based on the scientific evidence available in the literature and the author's personal clinical experience, supplies a detailed algorithm or clinical protocol in a graphic format, initiates a discussion regarding unanswered questions and proposals for future studies, and includes a list of suggested readings."
JOURNAL ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
- > Click here to see abstracts/full text of Dr. Muratore's journal articles on PubMed (National Library of Medicine).
- Abbasi A, Devers C, Muratore CS, Harrington C, Ventetuolo CE. Examining the role of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in patients following suspected or confirmed suicide attempts: a case series. J Crit Care 2018;44:445-9.
- Ahmed S, Luks FI, O'Brien BM, Muratore CS, Carr SR. Influence of experience, case load, and stage distribution on outcome of endoscopic laser surgery for TTTS — a review. Prenat Diagn 2010;30:314-9.
- Chu DC, Abu-Samra AG, Baird GL, Devers C, Sweeney J, Levy MM, Muratore CS, Ventetuolo CE. Quantitative measurement of heparin in comparison with conventional anticoagulation monitoring and the risk of thrombotic events in adults on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Intensive Care Med 2015;41:369-70.
- Curran S, McMurdy JW, Carr SR, Muratore CS, O'Brien BM, Crawford GP, Luks FI. Reflectance spectrometry for real-time hemoglobin determination of placental vessels during endoscopic laser surgery for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. J Pediatr Surg 2010;45:59-64.
- Duron VD, Watson-Smith D, Benzuly SE, Muratore CS, O'Brien BM, Carr SR, Luks FI. Maternal and fetal safety of fluid-restrictive general anesthesia for endoscopic fetal surgery in monochorionic twin gestations. J Clin Anesth 2014;26:184-90.
- Hartwich J, Luks FI, Watson-Smith D, Kurkchubasche AG, Muratore CS, Wills HE, Tracy TF Jr. Nonoperative treatment of acute appendicitis in children: a feasibility study. J Pediatr Surg 2016;51:111-6.
- Harty MW, Muratore CS, Papa EF, Gart MS, Ramm GA, Gregory SH, Tracy TF Jr. Neutrophil depletion blocks early collagen degradation in repairing cholestatic rat livers. Am J Pathol 2010;176:1271-81.
- Keating LJ, Soares GM, Muratore CS. Rapidly involuting congenital hemangioma. Med Health R I 2012;95:149, 152.
- Kowitt B, Tucker R, Watson-Smith D, Muratore CS, O'Brien BM, Vohr BR, Carr SR, Luks FI. Long-term morbidity after fetal endoscopic surgery for severe twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. J Pediatr Surg 2012;47:51-6.
- Lombardo ML, Watson-Smith DJ, Muratore CS, Carr SR, O'Brien BM, Luks FI. Laser ablation of placental vessels in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome: a paradigm for endoscopic fetal surgery. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2011;21:869-72.
- Luks FI, Carr SR, Muratore CS, O'Brien BM, Tracy TF. The pediatric surgeons' contribution to in utero treatment of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. Ann Surg 2009;250:456-62.
- Luks FI, Carr SR, O'Brien BM, Muratore CS. Power and interpretation of a randomized study on the treatment of severe twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2008;198:607-8.
- Maggio L, Carr SR, Watson-Smith D, O'Brien BM, Lopes V, Muratore CS, Luks FI. Iatrogenic preterm premature rupture of membranes after fetoscopic laser ablative surgery. Fetal Diagn Ther 2015;38:29-34.
- Martin AE, Khan A, Kim DS, Muratore CS, Luks FI. The use of intraabdominal tissue expanders as a primary strategy for closure of giant omphaloceles. J Pediatr Surg 2009;44:178-82.
- Martin AE, Chen JY, Muratore CS, Mayo-Smith WW, Luks FI. Dual localization technique for thoracoscopic resection of lung lesions in children. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2009;19 Suppl 1:S161-4.
- Muratore C, Ryder B, Luks F. Image display in endoscopic surgery. J Soc Informa Displ 2007;15:349.
- Muratore C, Tracy T. Management of common head and neck masses. Semin Pediatr Surg 2007;16:3-13.
- Muratore C, Tracy T. Neonatal bowel obstruction. In: Bland KI, editor. The Practice of General Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2007.
- Muratore C, Wilson J. Artificial womb. In: Lanza R, Langer R, Vacanti J,editors. Principles of Tissue Engineering. London: Academic Press, 2000: 905-12.
- Muratore CS. Head and neck. In: Elzouki AY, Harfi HA, Nazer H, Stapleton FB, Oh W, Whitley RJ, editors. Textbook of Clinical Pediatrics. 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer, 2012: 4045-58.
- Muratore CS. Pediatric abdominal CT scans: do it correctly. Better yet, don't do it at all. J Surg Res 2013;185:533-4.
- Muratore CS, Carr SR, Lewi L, Delieger R, Carpenter M, Jani J, Deprest JA, Luks FI. Survival after laser surgery for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome when are they out of the woods? J Pediatr Surg 2009;44:66-70.
- Muratore CS, Harty MW, Papa EF, Tracy TF Jr. Dexamethasone alters the hepatic inflammatory cellular profile without changes in matrix degradation during liver repair following biliary decompression. J Surg Res 2009;156:231-9.
- Muratore CS, Luks FI, Zhou Y, Harty M, Reichner J, Tracy TF. Endotoxin alters early fetal lung morphogenesis. J Surg Res 2009;155:225-30.
- Muratore CS, Kharasch V, Lund DP, Sheils C, Friedman S, Brown C, Utter S, Jaksic T, Wilson JM. Pulmonary morbidity in 100 survivors of congenital diaphragmatic hernia monitored in a multidisciplinary clinic. J Pediatr Surg 2001;36:133-40.
- Muratore CS, Nguyen HT, Ziegler MM, Wilson JM. Stretch-induced upregulation of VEGF gene expression in murine pulmonary culture: a role for angiogenesis in lung development. J Pediatr Surg 2000;35:906-13.
- Muratore CS, Tracy TF, Kaiser LR. Operative correction of pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum. In: Kaiser LR, Kron IL, editors. Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2014: 333-40.
- Muratore CS, Utter S, Jaksic T, Lund DP, Wilson JM. Nutritional morbidity in survivors of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg 2001;36:1171-6.
- Muratore CS, Wilson JM. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: where are we and where do we go from here? Semin Perinatol 2000;24:418-28.
- Prendergast CJ, Ryder BA, Abodeely A, Muratore CS, Crawford GP, Luks FI. Surgical performance with head-mounted displays in laparoscopic surgery. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2009;19 Suppl 1:S237-40.
- Tracy TF Jr, Muratore CS. Management of common head and neck masses. Semin Pediatr Surg 2007;16:3-13.
- Ventetuolo CE, Muratore CS. Extracorporeal life support in critically ill adults. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2014;190:497-508.
- Wu KQ, Muratore CS, So EY, Sun C, Dubielecka PM, Reginato AM, Liang OD. M1 macrophage-induced endothelial-to-mesenchymal transition promotes infantile hemangioma regression. Am J Pathol 2017;187:2102-11.
- Young JY, Kim DS, Muratore CS, Kurkchubasche AG, Tracy TF Jr, Luks FI. High incidence of postoperative bowel obstruction in newborns and infants. J Pediatr Surg 2007;42:962-5.
- > Click here to see abstracts/full text of Dr. Muratore's journal articles on PubMed (National Library of Medicine).
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Surgical Section (2009-present)
- American Pediatric Surgical Association (2009-present)
- Association for Academic Surgery (2006-present)
- Children’s Oncology Group (2006-present)
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Study Group (2006-present)
- Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (2009-present)
- International Fetal Medicine and Surgical Society (2007-present)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (2005-present)
- Editorial Positions
- Journal of Pediatric Surgery, Reviewer (2009-present)
- Journal of Surgical Research, Reviewer (2009-present)
- Pediatrics, Reviewer (2012-present)