- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Director, Gastroparesis Center
- DO, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine (2009)
- MS, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine (2007; Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine)
- General Surgery, NYU Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY (2014)
- Surgical Critical Care, NYU Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY (2015)
- Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA (2016)
Affiliated Specialty Centers
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center
- Gastroparesis Center
- Heartburn and Esophageal Center
- Hernia Center
- Endoscopic treatments for obesity
- Endoscopic bariatric revisional procedures
- Orbera non-surgical weight loss balloon system
- Bariatric surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Per-oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM)
- Per-oral pyloromyotomy (POP)
- Complex abdominal wall reconstruction
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Robotic surgery
- Obesity disease
Division of Bariatric, Foregut, and Advanced Gastrointestinal Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T18-040
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
Tel: 631-444-2274 (bariatric surgery)
Tel: 631-638-3969 (general surgery)
- Personal Statement
The Stony Brook Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center provides the most advanced techniques in the field of bariatric surgery. As a team, we strive to provide tailored care in order to establish a healthy way of life. I also believe in using the most advanced techniques and technologies available to minimize a patient’s recovery time.
- Best Research in Surgery, Lutheran Medical Center Research Fair (2014)
- Best Research in Surgery, Lutheran Medical Center Research Fair (2012)
- Anatomy-Pathology Academic Medicine Fellowship, 2006-07
- Altieri MS, Pryor A, Bates A, Docimo S, Talamini M, Spaniolas K. Bariatric procedures in adolescents are safe in accredited centers. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018;14:1368-72.
- Altieri MS, Pryor A, Yang J, Yin D, Docimo S, Bates A, Talamini M, Spaniolas K. The natural history of perforated marginal ulcers after gastric bypass surgery. Surg Endosc 2018;32:1215-22.
- Docimo S Jr. Acute leak following bariatric surgery: endoscopic stent management. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 835-8.
- Docimo S Jr. Vitamin and micronutrient deficiencies after bariatric surgery. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 839-42.
- Docimo S, Kornitsky DE, Hill RV, Elkowitz DE. Arterio-arterial malformation between a high origin radial artery and brachial artery within the cubital fossa - its clinical and embryological significance: a case report. Cases J 2009;2:6836.
- Docimo S Jr, Demin A, Vinces F. Patients with blunt head trauma on anticoagulation and antiplatelet medications: can they be safely discharged after a normal initial cranial computed tomography scan? Am Surg 2014;80:610-3.
- Docimo S Jr, Diggs L, Crankshaw L, Lee Y, Vinces F. No evidence supporting the routine use of digital rectal examinations in trauma patients. Indian J Surg 2015;77:265-9.
- Docimo S Jr, Hingorani A. Wet gangrene. In: Upchurch GR Jr, Henke PK, editors. Clinical Scenarios in Vascular Surgery. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2015: 465-67.
- Docimo S Jr, Kornitsky D, Futterman B, Elkowitz DE. Surgical treatment for acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis: patient selection, surgical options, complications, and outcome. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 2008;1:154-60.
- Docimo S Jr, Lamparello B, Cohen MF, Kopatsis A, Vinces F. Utilizing quantitative measures of visceral adiposity in evaluating trauma patient outcomes. Int J Surg 2015;21:51-6.
- Docimo S Jr, Lee Y, Chatani P, Rogers AM, Lacqua F. Visceral to subcutaneous fat ratio predicts acuity of diverticulitis. Surg Endosc 2017;31:2808-12.
- Docimo S Jr, Mathew A, Shope AJ, Winder JS, Haluck RS, Pauli EM. Reduced postoperative pain scores and narcotic use favor per-oral endoscopic myotomy over laparoscopic Heller myotomy. Surg Endosc 2017;31:795-800.
- Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM. "Assisted" PEG placement. In: Pauli EM, Marks J, editors. Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG): Techniques, Effectiveness and Potential Complications. New York: Nova Science, 2016.
"Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery provides a useful resource for surgeons in clinical practice as well as surgical residents, and surgical attendings who are preparing for board examinations. This text takes the major pathologies of the systems commonly studied in general surgery and presents them in a unique format based upon algorithms. The algorithms begin with the clinical presentation of the patient, work their way through the various diagnostic modalities available to the surgeon, and finally allow the physician to make a decision regarding treatment options based upon various patterns in the algorithms."
- Docimo S Jr, Piccolo C, Van Arsdale D, Elkowitz DE. Pathology-dependent histological changes of the left stellate ganglia: a cadaveric study. Clin Med Pathol 2008;1:105-13.
- Docimo S Jr, Rahmana U, Bates A, Talamini M, Pryor A, Spaniolas K. Concomitant hiatal hernia repair is more common in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy than during laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an analysis of 130,772 cases. Obes Surg 2019;29:744-6.
- Docimo S Jr, Shon W, Elkowitz DE. Bartholin's abscess arising within hidradenoma papilliferum of the vulva: a case report. Cases J 2008;29;1:282.
- Docimo S Jr. Prevention of venous thromboembolism in the bariatric patient: a review of the literature. Bariatr Times 2015;12:18-22.
- Lyn-Sue JR, Winder JS, Kotch S, Colello J, Docimo S. Laparoscopic gastric bypass to robotic gastric bypass: time and cost commitment involved in training and transitioning an academic surgical practice. J Robot Surg 2016;10:111-5.
- Meytes V, Docimo S, Elkowitz D, Kopatsis A. Effusive-constrictive tuberculous pericarditis in the setting of penetrating abdominal trauma. BMJ Case Rep 2015.
- Miglietta MA, Toma GI, Docimo S, Neely R, Bakoulis A, Kreismann E. Premonition of death in trauma: a survey of healthcare providers. Am Surg 2009;75:1220-6.
- Odom SR, Barone JE, Docimo S, Bull SM, Jorgensson D. Emergency department visits by demented patients with malfunctioning feeding tubes. Surg Endosc 2003;17:651-3.
- Rahman U, Docimo S, Pryor AD, Bates A, Obeid NR, Spaniolas K. Routine contrast imaging after bariatric surgery and the effect on hospital length of stay. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2018;14:517-20.
- Saggio G, Docimo S, Pilc J, Norton J, Gilliar W. Impact of osteopathic manipulative treatment on secretory immunoglobulin a levels in a stressed population. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2011;111:143-7.
- Shah A, Docimo S Jr. Ventral hernia repair in bariatric patients. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 831-4.
- Spaniolas K, Bates AT, Docimo S Jr, Obeid NR, Talamini MA, Pryor AD. Single stage conversion from adjustable gastric banding to sleeve gastrectomy or Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: an analysis of 4875 patients. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2017;13:1880-4.
- Wood A, Docimo S, Elkowitz DE. Cardiovascular disease and its association with histological changes of the left stellate ganglion. Clin Med Insights Pathol 2010;3:19-24.
- American College of Osteopathic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons