Application and Forms

Where to Begin

If you are interested in a clinical or research elective or program, you should familiarize yourself with the range of opportunities described briefly on the website. To learn more, you may make an appointment by writing directly to Mark Sedler, MD, Founding Director for Global Medical Education. You can email Dr. Sedler at

There are a number of specialized forms that you will need to complete depending on the activity. For electives, you may need to enroll in the course and fill out an elective application form. For international travel, there are forms and waivers available online that are required by the University for sanctioned or sponsored travel. In addition, you may be required to obtain or document health/travel insurance. Specific waivers are also required if you plan to travel to any site listed on the US State Department Warning List. Insurance and waivers can be obtained in the Bursar’s Office, adjacent to the International Programs Office in the Frank Melville Library, located on the fourth floor of Stony Brook University's main campus. 

If you have questions, you should contact Laurel Loh, Administrative Assistant for Global Medical Education, located in the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education on Level 4 of the Renaissance School of Medicine's Health Sciences Center. Or email her at