The Stony Brook Thyroid Center
Welcome to the Stony Brook Medicine Thyroid Center, part of the Division of Endocrinology. We are pleased to share information about our clinical services, educational, and scholarly activities.
Dr. Carolyn Maxwell, Director of Stony Brook Medicine Thyroid Center
Our division offers comprehensive care for a wide range of thyroid diseases, including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Graves’ disease, Hashimoto’s disease, thyroid nodules, and thyroid cancer. Our team of experts in thyroid disease offer years of experience in providing up to date, evidence-based treatment.
Highlighted Services include:
- Comprehensive clinical and laboratory testing for thyroid dysfunction
- Imaging Services
- In-office, real-time ultrasound assessment of thyroid nodules performed directly by the physician, allowing for precise and timely analysis. Our physicians are skilled sonographers who have earned distinct training in neck ultrasound (Endocrine Certification in Neck Ultrasound, ECNU).
- Fine needle aspiration (biopsy) of thyroid nodules is performed in the office by experienced physicians, with access to cutting edge molecular/genetic testing of samples when needed.
- Functional imaging is readily available from Stony Brook Advanced Imaging
- Thyroid Cancer
- Our team has extensive knowledge and experience treating the wide array of thyroid cancers. We are pleased to offer a multi-disciplinary approach, working closely with the Surgical, Oncology, and Radiation Oncology services at Stony Brook Medicine to center care on a patient’s individual needs. Appointments are available in our Multi-Disciplinary Head and Neck Cancer clinic, where patients can see all of their doctors in one visit, offering a patient-based team approach to your cancer care. We also provide long-term clinical, laboratory, and imaging follow up for thyroid cancer.
- We are committed to sharing our knowledge of thyroid diseases to patients and clinicians-in-training alike. Trainees in our fellowship program receive extensive training in neck ultrasound, graduating with hands-on experience far above what is typical.
- Several of our physicians are frequent invited speakers to our local ThyCa chapter, a Thyroid Cancer Survivor Group.
- Dr. Maxwell is a member of the American Thyroid Association Patient Affairs Committee, is a contributing author to several publications about thyroid disorders for both the public and medical community, and is an instructor for neck ultrasound at the national level.
The Stony Brook Pituitary Center
Dr Igor Kravets , endocrinologist, is Co-Director of Stony Brook Pituitary Care Center. The Stony Brook Pituitary Center includes a multidisciplinary team of experts for pituitary care. Dr Kravets and our team of endocrinologists will accept new patients with any pituitary disorder.