B.A. University of California, San Diego (2010)
8th Year MSTP
4th Year Medical Student
Dr. Vincent W. Yang
Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology
Ionizing radiation (IR) is a commonly used anti-cancer therapy that targets actively proliferating cells. LGR5+ intestinal stem cells are sensitive to IR damagealthough they are indispensable for regeneration following IR damage. Krüppel-like factor 5 (KLF5) is a zinc-finger transcription factor expressed in proliferating cells, including LGR5+ ISCs, of the intestinal epithelium and is involved in regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation. We observed that KLF5 is expressed in the majority of the MKI67+ proliferating cells in mice undergoing intestinal epithelial regeneration following total-body gamma-irradiation (TBI) injury. I am interested in investigating the role of KLF5 in the regenerative response after radiation injury in the intestinal epithelium.
- Kim CK, Saxena M, Maharjan K, Song JJ, Shroyer KR, Bialkoswka AB, Shivdasani RA, Yang
VW (2020). Krüppel-like factor 5 regulates stemness, lineage specification, and regeneration of
intestinal epithelial stem cells. Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol. 9: 587-609. PMID: 31778829.
- Kuruvilla JG*, Kim CK*, Ghaleb AM, Bialkowska AB, Yang VW. (2016). Krüppel-like factor 4 modulates development of BMI1+ intestinal stem cell-derived lineage following g-radiation-induced gut injury in mice. Stem Cell Reports. 6(6): 815-824. PMID: 27237377. *Co-first authors.
- Jeong JY, Oh SH, Suh MK, Kim CK, Kim KK. (2014). Effective use of a silicone-induced capsular flap in secondary Asian rhinoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 2(6):e172. PMID: 25289365.
- Kim HS, Hwang K, Kim CK, Kim KK. (2013). Double-eyelid surgery using septoaponeurosis junctional thickening results in dynamic fold in Asians. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open. 1(2):1-9. PMID: 25289207.
- Lee SE, Li X, Kim JC, Lee J, Gonzalez-Navajas JM, Hong SH, Park IK, Rhee JH, Raz E. (2012). Type I interferons maintain Foxp3 expression and T-regulatory cell functions under inflammatory conditions in mice. Gastroenterology. 143(1):145-54. PMID: 22475534.
- Lee J, Kim JC, Lee SE, Quinley C, Kim H, Herdman S, Corr M, Raz E. (2012). STAT3 (Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3) suppresses adenoma to carcinoma transition in Apcmin/+ mice via regulation of SNAI (Snail-1) stability. J Biol Chem. 287(22):18182-9. PMID: 22496368.
- Lee J, Kim H, Quinley C, Kim J, Gonzalez-Navajas JM, Xavier R, Raz E. (2012). Autophagy suppresses interleukin-1ß (IL-1ß) signaling by activation of p62 degradation via lysosomal and proteasomal pathways. J Biol Chem. 287(6):4033-40. PMID: 22167182.
- Kim CK, Yang VW, Bialkowska AB. (2017). The role of intestinal stem cells in epithelial regeneration following radiation-induced gut injury. Current Stem Cell Reports. DOI 10.1007/s40778-017-0103-7. http://rdcu.be/wvVI
- Kim CK*, He P*, Bialkowska AB, Yang VW. (2017). SP and KLF Transcription Factors in Digestive Physiology and Diseases. Gastroenterology. 152(8):1845-1875. PMID:28366734. *Co-first authors.
- Kim CK, Bialkowska AB, Yang VW. (2016). Intestinal stem cell resurgence by enterocyte precursors. Stem Cell Investigation. 3:49. PMID: 27777938.