Since this is an "advanced" PM&R program you must independently apply for an ACGME or AOA accredited internship year in the U.S. There are nine residents in the program (3 PGY-2’s, 3 PGY-3’s, and 3 PGY-4’s). Interview season is from late October through December.
Applications will only be accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). We are unable to accept telephone, paper, or email applications.
Applications Must Include:
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
- Step 1 must be completed before applying.
- Step 2 (both parts) must be completed prior to the completion of interviews.
- While there are no formally established score requirements, the faculty looks very closely at the scores to decide who to invite for interview. Stony Brook Policy states: “Residency Appointment is contingent upon demonstrating successful completion of USMLE (Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS on the 2nd attempt) or COMLEX (Level 1, Level 2 CE and Level 2 PE on the 2nd attempt) examinations.”
- Three letters of reference
- Medical school transcripts (international transcripts must be translated)
- U.S. graduates must submit a Dean's Letter.
- Applicants from other than US or Canadian Medical Schools must hold a current valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- Candidates must be a US citizen, permanent resident, have employment authorization identification (EAD), or have a J-1 visa sponsored by ECFMG. Stony Brook Medicine does not sponsor H1B visas or other visas for GME training.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume.
- Although we do not have pre-established criteria for the date of medical school graduation, we do evaluate each application as a whole; candidates who have graduated more than two years ago should reflect evidence of meaningful, ongoing continuing medical education in their application.
- Large gaps of time exceeding 1 month that are not verifiable will disqualify candidates for consideration for a GME program
For more information about our sponsoring institution, the State University of New York at Stony Brook, please visit http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/gme/
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in our Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency Program. We look forward to receiving your application.