Welcome, and thank you for your interest in the Stony Brook Medicine, Nephrology Fellowship Program. We provide a comprehensive post-graduate training program designed to produce outstanding clinical and academic nephrologists. The program offers an excellent balance of formal, informal, and independent education with ample exposure to all aspects of clinical nephrology including all modalities of dialysis, transplantation, hypertension, and ICU nephrology as well as clinical and basic science research.
The Nephrology Fellowship Program at Stony Brook Medicine is a fully accredited program that was founded in 1980 and has trained over 100 fellows. The fellowship trains a total of 7 fellows and accepts 2-3 new fellows yearly. Individualized electives and tracts are available to meet the goals of each trainee and include:
- Nephro-critical care track: One second year fellow per year is supported to complete a year of critical care medicine under the direction of the Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care, and graduate board eligible in both nephrology and critical care.
- Option for critical care electives in both first year and second year of fellowship.
- Dedicated ultrasound curriculum for all fellows.
- Nephro-hospitalist run medicine team relieves patient load from consult services.
- 3 Full-time nurse practitioners for fellow support both inpatient and outpatient.
- Specialized home dialysis clinic and curriculum year-round.
- 1-2 protected research months each year of fellowship with robust basic science, translational and clinic research opportunities. Option for a third year of research training for those interested in a career in academic medicine.
- Night float system implemented in 2018.
- Year-round exposure to our comprehensive and active renal transplantation program. https://www.stonybrookmedicine.edu/patientcare/transplant
We thank you for your interest and for more information, contact our Fellowship Coordinator and Division Administrator, Lesley Foehrenbach.
Nephrology Fellowship Program
Chelsea Estrada, DO, MS
Dr. Farah Daccueil, MD, MS