Jingxuan Liu, MD, PhD
Surgical Pathology Fellowship Program Director
University Hospital, Level 2, Rm 749
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-7025
Tel: (631) 444-2235
Fax: (631) 444-3419
|Institution and Location||Degree||Year||Field of Study|
|Peking Union Medical College, China||M.D.||1991||Medicine|
|University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Texas||Ph.D.||1998||Immunology, Division of Molecular and Cell Biology|
Positions and Employment:
|1998-2002||Resident in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Massachusetts|
|2002-2003||Fellow in Surgical Pathology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania|
|2003-2013||Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Stony Brook Medicine|
|2013-present||Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Stony Brook Medicine|
|2003||Suffolk County Society of Pathologists, State of New York (President, 2013-present)|
|2004||United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology|
|2006||International Society of Breast Pathology|
|2007||College of American Pathologists|
|2011||International Society of Urological Pathology|
Peer Reviewed Publications:
1. Liu J, Yu YYL, Fischer-Lindahl K, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Allorecognition by murine natural killer cells: Studies with bone marrow transplants and lysis of T lymphoblasts. Chemical Immunology. 1996, 64:164-80.
2. Liu J, Sentman CL, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Murine marrow coexpressing H2Dsp2 and H2Dd on host natural killer cell rejection. Transplantation. 1997, 63:444-9.
3. Sivakumar PV, George T, Puzanov IJ, Williams NS, Stepp S, Liu J, Schatzle J, Lai WC, Bennett M, and Kumar V. Hybrid resistance by mouse NK cells in vitro. Methods in Molecular Biology. 2000, 121:73-9.
4. Kumar V, George T, Yu YYL, Liu J, and Bennett M. Role of murine NK cells and their receptors in hybrid resistance. Current Opinion in Immunology. 1997, 9:52-6.
5. George T, Yu YYL, Liu J, Davenport C, Lemieux S, Stoneman E, Mathew PA, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Allorecognition by murine natural killer cells: Lysis of T-lymphoblasts and rejection of bone marrow grafts. Immunological Reviews. 1997, 155:29-40.
6. Liu J, Morris MA, Nguyen P, George TC, Koulich E, Lai WC, Schatzle JD, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Ly49I NK cell receptor transgene inhibition of rejection of H2b mouse bone marrow transplants. Journal of Immunology. 2000, 164:1793-9.
7. Liu J, George T, Devora GA, Sivakumar PV, Davenport C, Lai WC, Schatzle J, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Murine natural killer cells and hybrid resistance to hemopoietic cells in vivo. Methods in Molecular Biology. 2000, 121:61-71.
8. Liu J, Hutzler M, Li C, and Pechet L. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS): The new thinking. Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis. 2001, 11:261-72.
9. Morris M, Liu J, Arora V, George TC, Klem J, Schatzle JD, Kumar V, and Bennett M. B6 strain-Ly49I inhibitory gene expression on T cells in FVB.Ly49IB6 transgenic mice fails to prevent normal T cell functions. Journal of Immunology. 2002, 169:3661-6.
10. Morris MA, Koulich E, Liu J, Arora V, George TC, Schatzle JD, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Definition of additional functional ligands for Ly49I(B6) using FVBLy49I(B6) transgenic mice and B6 natural killer cell effectors. Transplantation. 2002, 74:1449-54.
11. Desai N, Kapoor A, Singh BK, and Liu J. Bilateral adrenal adenomas and persistent leukocytosis: A unique case of Cushing’s syndrome. American Journal of Medicine. 2006, 119:e3-5.
12. Wang Z, Lee CSD, Waltzer WC, Liu J, Xie H, Yuan Z, and Pan Y. In vivo bladder imaging with MEMS-based endoscopic spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 2007, 12:34009.
13. Liang SX, Patel K, Pearl M, Liu J, Zheng W, and Tornos C. Sertoliform endometrioid carcinoma of the endometrium with dual immunophenotypes for epithelial membrane antigen and inhibin α. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology. 2007, 26:291-297.
14. Liang SX, Pearl M, Liu J, Hwang S, and Tornos S. "Malignant" uterine perivascular epithelioid cell tumor, pelvic lymph node lymphangioleiomyomatosis, and gynecological pecomatosis in a patient with tuberous sclerosis: a case report and review of the literature. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2008, 27:86-90.
15. Wang Z, Hui P, Yuan Z, Liu J, Chen W, and Pan Y. Assessment of dermal wound repair after collagen implantation with optical coherence tomography. Tissue Engineering (Part C). 2008, 14:35-45.
16. Zarrilli GM, Liu J, Bilfinger TV, Moore WH, Vacirca J, and Baram D. Fat-containing pleural mass due to spillage of an ovarian dermoid cyst. J Bronchol. 2008, 15:264-267.
17. Yuan Z, Wang Z, Pan R, Liu J, Cohen H, and Pan Y. High resolution imaging diagnosis and staging of bladder cancer: comparison between optical coherence tomography and high-frequency ultrasound. J Biomed Opt. 2008, 13:054007.
18. Vandy F, Izquierdo L, Liu J, and Criado E. Angiolymphoid hyperplasia involving large arteries. J Vasc Surg. 2008, 47:1086-1089.
19. Yuan Z, Ren H, Waltzer W, Kim J, Liu J, Jia H, Xie H, and Pan Y. Optical coherence tomography for bladder cancer diagnosis: from animal study to clinical diagnosis. Journal of Innovative Optical Health Science. 2008, 1:125-140.
20. Yuan Z, Zakhaleva J, Ren H, Liu J, Chen W, and Pan Y. Noninvasive and high-resolution optical monitoring of healing of diabetic dermal excisional wounds implanted with biodegradable in situ gelable hydrogels. Tissue Engineering (Part C). 2010, 16:237-247.
21. Ren H, Waltzer WC, Bhalla R, Liu J, Yuan Z, Lee CSD, Darras F, Schulsinger, Adler HL, Kim J, Mishail A, and Pan Y. Diagnosis of bladder cancer with microelectromechanical systems-based cystoscopic optical coherence tomography. Urology. 2009, 74:1351-1358.
22. Catanzaro JM, Guerriero JL, Liu J, Ullman E, Sheshadri N, Chen JJ, and Zong WX. Elevated expression of squamous cell carcinoma antigen (SCCA) is associated with human breast carcinoma. PLoS One. 2011, 6:e19096.
23. Ischenko I, Liu J, Petrenko O, Hayman MJ. Transforming growth factor-beta signaling network regulated plasticity and lineage commitment of lung cancer cells. Cell Death and Differentiation. 2014. March 28, advance online publication.
24. Szema AM, Reeder RJ, Harrington AD, Schmidt M, Liu J, Golightly M, Rueb T, Hamidi SA. Irag dust is respirable, sharp, and metal-laden and induces lung inflammation with fibrosis in mice via IL-2 upregulation and depletion of regulatory T cells. J Occup Environ Med, 2014, 56:243-250.
25. Evensen NA, Kuscu C, Li Y, Zhang Q, Liu J, Li E, Denoya PI, Shroyer K, Cao J. Hypoxia-inducible-factor 2 (HIF-2) upregulates the cell migration-inducing protein (CEMIP/KIAA1199) in response to hypoxic stress. Journal of Biological Chemistry. Submitted.
1. Liu J, Sentman CL, Fischer-Lindahl K, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Db plus peptide protective motifs prevent rejection of Dsp2+ but not Dd+ bone marrow cells (BMC) by B6 host natural killer (NK) cells. FASEB Journal. 1996, 10:A1186 (abstract 1078).
2. Morris M, Liu J, Kumar V, and Bennett M. Natural killer (NK) and T cell function in Ly49I transgenic FVB mice. FASEB Journal. 1998, 12:A601 (abstract 3492).
3. Patel K, Deshmukh S, Tornos C, Liu J, and Liang SX. Sertoliform endometrioid carcinoma of the endometrium with dual immunophenotypes for EMA and alpha inhibin. Modern Pathology. 2006, 19 (suppl 3):101 (abstract).
4. Wang Z, Hasan M, Liu J, and Pan Y. Bladder cancer diagnosis with fluorescence guided spectral domain optical coherence tomography in a rat model. In 33rd Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference. 2007, Stony Brook, New York, USA (abstract).
5. Liu J, O'Hea B, Fisher P, Kane PB, Bernstein C, and Tornos C. Percentage of high risk breast lesions upgraded after core biopsy: A systemic review and meta-analysis (abstract). Modern Pathology. 2008 (supplement 1), 21:43A.
6. Park JW, Liu J, and Zee S. Gastric metaplasia: A frequently overlooked feature of duodenal carcinoid tumors (abstract). Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008, 132:1471.
7. Park JW, Sheynkin Y, Klein S, and Liu J. Malignant mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis (abstract). Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008, 132:1479.
8. Pal TR, Liu J, and Tornos C. Calretinin and B72.3 as useful markers in the differential diagnosis of adenocarcinoma versus reactive mesothelium in a background of adnexal endometriosis (abstract). Modern Pathology. 2009, 22:230A (supplement 1).
9. Heimann A, Tornos C, Schreiber Z, Kane P, Liang S, O’Hea B, Singh M, and Liu J. Do true mixed invasive ductal and lobular carcinoma of the breast exist? (abstract) Modern Pathology. 2010, 23:50A (supplement 1).
10. Jaggessarsingh D, Singh M, Liu J, Fisher P, and Tornos C. Non-atypical papillary lesions on core biopsy: Do all of them require surgical excision? A meta-analysis of 604 cases (abstract). Modern Pathology. 2010, 23:53A (supplement 1).
11. Liu J, Heimann A, Singh M, Schreiber Z, Hu Y, O’Hea B, and Tornos C. Transmembrane protein E-cadherin may not be necessary for duct formation in breast carcinomas (abstract). Modern Pathology. 2010, 23:59A (supplement 1).
12. Singh M, Liu J, Lu J, Shroyer KR, and Tornos C. Correlation of Oncotype Dx recurrence score and receptor assessment with histologic parameters and ER/PR/Her-2 status (abstract). Modern Pathology. 2010, 23:72A (supplement 1).
13. Gupta R, Tornos C, Singh M, O’Hea B, Liu J. Reduced or loss of ER and PR receptor expression in metastatic breast cancer (abstract). Modern Pathology. 2012, 25:41A (supplement 1).
14. Pandya D, Liu J, Singh M, Kane P, Tornos C. Impact of ACOSOG trial results in the practice of breast cancer surgery in Long Island: survey of 19 hospitals. Modern Pathology. 2012, 25:57A (supplement 1).
15. Zheng S, O’Hea B, Singh M, Zee S, Tornos C, Liu. The management of radial sclerosing lesions/radial scars diagnosed in core biopsy: excision or not? Modern Pathology. 2012, 25:76A (supplement 1).
16. Patel C, Harmon B, Soslow R, Garg K, DeLair D, Hwang S, Liu J, Zee S, Shroyer K, Burke S, Tornos C. Interobserver agreement in the diagnosis of ovarian carcinoma types: impact of sub-specialization. Modern Pathology. 2012, 25:292A (supplement 1).
17. Udo M, Singh M, Liu J, Tornos C. Review of tumor board cases as part of a QA program: impact on clinical care in a non-subspecialized tertiary hospital: a review of 2604 cases. Modern Pathology. 2012, 25:508A (supplement 1).
18. Neill KG, Liu J, Cliff B, O'Hea B, Singh M, Tornors C. Correlation between MRI findings and gross and microscopic pathology in total mastectomy cases: a review of 109 cases. Modern Pathology. 2013, 26:58A (supplement 2).
19. Pandya DM, Patel CD, Zee S, Liu J, Tornos C. Hormonal and Her-2 receptor status in DCIS and concurrent invasive carcinoma. Modern Pathology. 2013, 26:61A (supplement 2).
20. Patel CD, Pandya DM, Liu J, Bernstein C, Tornos C. Difference in tumor grade of invasive breast carcinomas in core biopsy and excision: an anlysis of 142 cases. Modern Pathology. 2013, 26:62A (supplement 2).
21. Liu C, Heimann A, Waltzer W, Liu J. Renal percutenous needle core biopsy verse fine needle aspiration, or both? Modern Pathology. 2013, 26:231A (supplement 2).
22. Atkinson R, Neill KG, Wu S, Waltzer W, Zee S, Liu J. The necessity of following standard protocol in examining prostates in cystoprostatectomy specimens. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2013, 137:1418.
23. Harmon BE, Tornos C, Liu J, Singh M. An analysis of intradepartmental consultations at an academic medical center: a high-value quality improvement activity. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 2013, 137:1505.
24. Balakrishnan D, Tornos C, Lu J, Bien H, O'Hea B, Zee S, Singh M, Liu J. Male breast cancer: histological and clinical features. Modern Pathology, 2014, 27:37A (supplement 2).
25. Capo-Martinez MDM, Patel C, Liu J, Hoda S, O'Hea B, Tornos C. Heterogeneity for Ki67 in invasive breast carcinoma: a review of 42 cases. Modern Pathology, 2014, 27:39A (supplement 2).
26. Liu C, Heimann A, Waltzer W, Wu S, Zawin M, Hwang S, Liu J. Positive margins in partial nephrectomy specimens do not predict recurrence. Modern Pathology, 2014, 27:246A (supplement 2).
27. Liu C, Balakrishnan D, Heimann A, Birney L, Zee S, Tornos, Singh M, Shroyer K, Liu J. ThinPrep CytoLyt Fixation has no effect on ER and cytokeratin staining on normal breast tissue. Modern Pathology, 2014, 27:507A (supplement 2).