Fellowship in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry

C-L Psychiatry Group Photo

The Stony Brook University Fellowship in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry provides its graduates with the clinical experience, skill and confidence to function as leaders of psychiatric services for medically complex patients. Stony Brook is a world-class academic medical center and regional level I trauma center. In addition to training on our active hospital Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry teaching service, fellows rotate with a number of sub-specialized inpatient and ambulatory teams, including  palliative care, renal transplantation surgery, C-L psychology, and perinatal psychiatry. Fellows also train in psychiatry at the interface of primary care at the Northport VA Medical Center.

Approximately 70% of the fellowship training occurs in the hospital, and the other 30% in ambulatory areas. Fellows supervise more junior trainees such residents and medical students.  Fellows also have opportunities to participate in research. The fellowship is one year, offers two positions, and eligible candidates must have completed an ACGME accredited residency program in psychiatry.

Stony Brook is a university community on the scenic north shore of Long Island, which boasts beautiful parks and beaches, strong schools, and is an hour drive into Manhattan. Inquires should be directed to the Program Director at Brian.Bronson@stonybrookmedicine.edu


About Stony Brook University Hospital

Stony Brook University Hospital (SBUH) serves as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and is home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Long Island Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. The SB Heart Center performs the only open-heart surgery in Suffolk and the Cancer Center and Cerebrovascular Center attract patients from throughout the region with cutting edge diagnostic and treatment facilities.


Fellows will have access to all the resources of a large state university and medical center as well as those provide by the Veterans Administration Medical Center. The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Stony Brook is home to a highly sophisticated imaging center that specializes in PET and MRI imaging related to psychiatric disorders.

Application Process

Qualified applicants are invited to apply for the Stony Brook Fellowship in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry through the ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). This includes your personal statement, three letters of recommendation (one being from your current Residency Program Director, ERAS application, CV and USMLE attempts/scores. We are able to sponsor applicants on a J-1 Visa sponsored by ECFMG. Stony Brook Hospital does not sponsor H1B visas for GME training.

Inquiries may be made to the Fellowship Director at Brian.Bronson@stonybrookmedicine.edu or the Fellowship Program Coordinator, Ms. Angela Smith, at 631 444 3406 or Angela.Smith@stonybrookmedicine.edu.