- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Chief, Breast Surgery Division
- Leader, Breast Care Team
- Director, Carol M. Baldwin Breast Care Center
- Georgetown University (1986)
- General Surgery, St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York
- Breast Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Affiliated Specialty Center
Division of Breast Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T18-060
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
- Personal Statement
Our practice is a highly specialized breast surgery practice that focuses on patients who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer, as well as other surgical breast problems. We offer the highest quality compassionate care using leading-edge knowledge and techniques.
- Selected for inclusion in all editions of the Castle Connolly Guide, America's Top Doctors for Cancer (since 2005)
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, America's Top Doctors (since 2009), representing the top 1% of physicians in the nation
- Selected for inclusion in the "Best Doctors" listing of New York Magazine (since 2001), representing the top 2% of physicians in the New York Metropolitan area
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area (since 2005)
- Selected for the Best Doctors in America database (since 2009)
- Azu MC, Jean S, Piotrowski JM, O'Hea B. Effective methods for disclosing breast cancer diagnosis. Am J Surg 2007;194:488-90.
- Button TM, Li H, Fisher P, Rosenblatt R, Dulaimy K, Li S, O’Hea B, Salvitti M, Geronimo V, Geronimo C, Jambawalikar S, Carvelli P, Weiss R. Dynamic infrared imaging for the detection of malignancy. Phys Med Biol 2004;49:3105-16.
- Huang W, Fisher PR, Dulaimy K, Tudorica LA, O’Hea B, Button TM. Detection of breast malignancy: diagnostic MR protocol for improved specificity. Radiology 2004;232:585-91.
- Kemeny MM, Busch-Devereaux E, Merriam LT, O'Hea BJ. Cancer surgery in the elderly. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2000;14:169-92.
- Khandelwal A, O’Hea BJ, Garguilo G. Breast cancer in a patient with Poland’s syndrome. Am Surg 2004;70:491-5.
- Kovalev S, Mateen A, Zaika AI, O'Hea BJ, Moll UM. Lack of defective expression of the ATM gene in sporadic breast cancer tissues and cell lines. Int J Oncol 2000;16:825-31.
- O'Hea BJ, Hill AD, El-Shirbiny AM, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: the initial experience at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. J Am Coll Surg 1998;186:423-7.
- O'Hea BJ, Borgen PI. Breast carcinoma: counterpoint. In: Johnson FE, Virgo KS, editors. Cancer Patient Follow-up. St. Louis: Mosby, 1997: 310-5.
- O'Hea BJ, Ho MN, Petrek JA. External compression dressing versus standard dressing after axillary lymphadenectomy. Am J Surg 1999;177:450-3.
- O'Hea BJ, Tornos C. Mild ductal atypia after large-core needle biopsy: is surgical excision always necessary? Surgery 2000;128:738-43.
- Phillips BT, Fourman MS, Bishawi M, Zegers M, O'Hea BJ, Ganz JC, Huston TL, Dagum AB, Khan SU, Bui DT. Are prophylactic postoperative antibiotics necessary for immediate breast reconstruction? Results of a prospective randomized clinical trial. J Am Coll Surg 2016;222:1116-24.
- Tornos C, O'Hea BJ. Ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: pathologic features predictive of residual disease after initial excisional biopsy. Mod Pathol 2000;1:48A.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Participation in national clinical trials allowing use of the latest in therapeutic advances for the treatment of different cancers