- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Chief, Cardiothoracic Surgery Division
- Co-Director, Heart Institute
- Surgical Director, Structural Heart Program
- American University of Beirut (2000)
- General Surgery, Waterbury Hospital, Yale University
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, George Washington University
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital
Affiliated Specialty Centers
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Heart Failure
- Heart Rhythm Surgery
- Lung Cancer
- Mediastinal Tumor Resection
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-080
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
- Personal Statement
In the evermore specializing world of medicine, I take pride in being able to offer a variety of highly specialized approaches to both heart and lung surgeries. Since I became a surgeon, thousands of patients in the NY metro area have entrusted me with managing their surgical needs at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan and community hospitals throughout Westchester, and now Stony Brook Medicine. I realize the value of treating patients in their own community, and strive to bridge the tertiary care of Stony Brook to other community hospitals in Suffolk County.
Navigating the chest from different angles allows me to offer less invasive chest surgery. My experience enables me to have access to the cardiopulmonary machine, if the need were to arise to provide more aggressive resection of tumors that would otherwise be deemed unresectable in other centers.
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) has already proven its value in lung cancer resections with smaller incisions and faster recoveries. More recently, major advances in minimally invasive cardiac valve surgeries like transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) have offered a wider patient population, one which was deemed too high risk, options other than traditional surgery. These discoveries have paved the way for new mitral valve advances which are in the pipeline currently and will be implemented at Stony Brook as well as at other world-class institutions.
Putting the patient front and center is my goal; maintaining excellence in surgical outcome is my reward.
- Election to Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society (2000)
- Di Luozzo G, Tannous HJ, Ellozy SH, Nowakowski S, Plestis KA, Adams DH, Griepp RB. Delayed repair of acute type A aortic dissection in a patient with gastrointestinal bleeding and pulse deficit. Ann Thorac Surg 2007;84:2097-9.
- Mueting-Nelsen PF, Tannous H, Apinis A. Linear object in the ascending aorta discovered on routine transesophageal echocardiography for coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2011;25:894-6.
- Parikh PB, Loh S, Gruberg L, Patel N, Weinstein J, Tannous H, Bilfinger T. Transcarotid transcatheter aortic valve replacement as preferred alternative access in a patient with bilateral carotid artery disease. J Invasive Cardiol 2018;30:E9-10.
- Tannous H, Chiang Y, Cavallaro P, Chikwe J. Permanent pacemaker requirement after concomitant surgical ablation for atrial fibrillation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014;46:1041.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Incidental lung nodule. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 47-50.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Massive hemoptysis. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 35-8.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Mediastinal masses. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 39-42.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Tracheal stenosis. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 43-6.
- Tannous H, Nasrallah F, Marjani M. Spontaneous Iliac vein rupture: case report and comprehensive review of the literature. Ann Vasc Surg 2006;20:258-62.
- Tannous HJ, Moulick AN, Jonas RA. Interrupted aortic arch and aortic atresia with circle of Willis-dependent coronary perfusion. Ann Thorac Surg 2006;82:e11-3.
- Toyoda N, Itagaki S, Tannous H, Egorova NN, Chikwe J. Bioprosthetic versus mechanical valve replacement for infective endocarditis: focus on recurrence rates. Ann Thorac Surg 2018;106:99-106.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- English, French, Arabic