- General Ting Feng Cheng Endowed Chair
- Professor of Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- University of Oxford (1997)
- University of Cambridge (2001; cardiac transplantation; thesis, "OX40 (CD 134) blockade inhibits the co-stimulatory cascade and promotes heart allograft survival")
- General Surgery, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospitals, London, UK
- Mitral and Aortic Valve Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Affiliated Specialty Centers
- Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO)
- Heart Defects
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Mitral Valve Repair
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- Thoracic Endovascular Aneurysm Repair (TEVAR)
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Tricuspid Valve Repair
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Ventricular Assist Device Implantation
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-080
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
Dr. Joanna Chikwe specializes in minimally invasive valve surgery, with specific expertise in mitral valve repair, aortic surgery, and coronary revascularization. She serves as chief of the
Cardiothoracic Surgery Division at Stony Brook Medicine, and director of the Stony Brook Heart Institute, leading a multidisciplinary team that works closely with cardiologists and vascular surgeons to provide comprehensive longitudinal evaluation and the full spectrum of surgical and transcatheter treatment options to patients with structural and ischemic heart disease.
Dr. Chikwe received her MD from the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. She completed her residency in general surgery and a master's degree at the University of Cambridge, followed by cardiothoracic surgery training in London and New York, where she was appointed to the faculty at Mount Sinai Medical Center in 2008 and served as program director of the thoracic surgery residency program, and chairman of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery at Mount Sinai West and Mount Sinai St. Luke's Hospitals.
Dr. Chikwe leads active research collaborations with the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and the Department of Population Health Science and Policy at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, publishing on clinical outcomes in cardiovascular surgery including landmark articles in JAMA and Journal of the American College of Cardiology. She also is editor/author of three clinical handbooks, including Cardiothoracic Surgery, published by Oxford University Press, and reissued in multiple editions.
- Selected for inclusion on New York Magazine's "Best Doctors" list, representing the top 2% of physicians in the greater New York metropolitan area (2018)
- Recipient of Long Island Business News' Achievement in Healthcare Award (2017)
- Selected for inclusion on New York Magazine's "Best Doctors" list, representing the top 2% of physicians in the greater New York metropolitan area (2017)
- Solomon Silver Award for Excellence in Clinical Medicine, 2010
- Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education Award, 2010
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britain Cardiac Scholarship, 2006
- HCA International Foundation Travelling Fellowship, 2006
- Royal College of Surgeons of England Enid Linder Research Fellowship, 2000
- Clinical outcomes We published reports on long-term outcomes after valve surgery in JAMA and Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Collaborating with the Department of Health Policy and Evidence at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the Cardiothoracic Surgery Clinical Trials Network to provide large dataset evidence to inform trial design and methodology.
- Research Funding
- Research Supervisor, National Institute of Health T35 MSTAR Grants, 2011 - present
- Co-Principal Investigator, Thoracic Surgery Forum for Research and Education, Simulation Grant, 2010 - present
- Research Supervisor, National Institute of Health K12 Grant, 2014
- Research Supervisor, Doris Duke Foundation Research Grant, 2010-2011
- Co-Principal Investigator, Royal College of Surgeons, Enid Linder Foundation Grant, 2000-2001
- University College London Dissertation Prize. Proxime accessit, 1994
Cardiothoracic Surgery covers all areas of adult and pediatric, cardiac and thoracic surgery, and intensive care. This new edition, with updated cardiac surgery and thoracic sections, provides on-the-spot guidance to common and less common operative procedures. Every chapter is divided into topics presented across two pages to enable easy reference, with pages on intensive care edged in red for immediate access. Completely updated with current evidence and guidelines, the book is practically oriented to provide reliable guidance in intensive care and in theatre. Fully indexed and lavishly illustrated, the book is a must for anyone seeking a comprehensive yet portable guide to all areas of cardiothoracic surgical practice.
Perioperative Medicine is a concise, practical text that gives junior doctors the guidance that they need to cope with medical problems in surgical patients that might occur early in pre-assessment clinic, the night before surgery, out-of-hours, or on the wards postoperatively. It is an updated version of the handbook published in 2000 in the Oxford Pocket Medicine series, and is written as a guide for trainees in surgery (and its sub-disciplines) dealing with day-to-day medical problems arising in surgical patients. It covers all the fundamentals of the medical care of surgical patients, with new sections on surgical oncology, theatre etiquette, and planning lists, with most text rewritten to reflect new headings and recent guidelines.
"A cracking guide for surgical doctors, medics, foundation doctors and for those involved in anaesthesia and critical care. It will always be in my work bag." — British Journal of Hospital Medicine
The bestselling Oxford Handbook of Clinical Surgery covers the assessment and preparation of the patient, anaesthesia and critical care, inflammation, wound healing and infection, and the key components of general surgical practice, as well as chapters on other surgical specialties, including plastic, paediatric, and orthopedic surgery. It is an invaluable tool for junior surgical trainees, medical students, nursing, paramedical, and rehabilitation staff. There are step-by-step descriptions of common operative surgical techniques, practical hints and procedures, and information on signs, symptoms and rarities. Emergency presentations are clearly identified for rapid reference and investigations, and management plans are set out in a clear and easy-to-follow way.
"In short it's a little surgical gem." — Glasgow University Medical Journal
"The book is a needed addition to the surgical literature." — Doody's Notes
JOURNAL ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS
Citations in red indicate high-impact publications
- > Click here to see abstracts/full text of Dr. Chikwe's journal articles presented in reverse chronological order, starting with most recent, on PubMed (National Library of Medicine).
- Adams DH, Anyanwu AC, Chikwe J, Filsoufi F. The year in cardiovascular surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009;53:2389-403.
- Adams DH, Chikwe J. On-pump CABG in 2018: still the gold standard. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018;71:992-3.
- Adams DH, Chikwe J, Filsoufi F, Anyanwu AC. The year in cardiovascular surgery. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;57:1425-44.
- Anderson R, Chikwe J. The heart and its valves. In: Cardiac Anesthesia. Barnard M, Martin B, editors. Oxford, UK: Oxford UP, 2010.
- Anyanwu AC, Chikwe J, Adams DH. Tricuspid valve repair for treatment and prevention of secondary tricuspid regurgitation in patients undergoing mitral valve surgery. Curr Cardiol Rep 2008;10:110-7.
- Anyanwu AC, Itagaki S, Chikwe J, El-Eshmawi A, Adams DH. A complexity scoring system for degenerative mitral valve repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016;151:1661-70.
- Anyanwu AC, Itagaki S, Varghese R, Castillo J, Chikwe J, Adams DH. Re-repair of the mitral valve as a primary strategy for early and late failures of mitral valve repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014;45:352-8.
- Batra J, Itagaki S, Egorova NN, Chikwe J. Outcomes and long-term effects of pregnancy in women with biologic and mechanical valve prostheses. Am J Cardiol 2018;122:1738-44.
- Batra J, Toyoda N, Goldstone AB, Itagaki S, Egorova NN, Chikwe J. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in New York State: trends, outcomes, and implications for patient selection. Circ Heart Fail 2016;9:e003179.
- Breglio A, Anyanwu A, Itagaki S, Polanco A, Adams DH, Chikwe J. Does prior coronary bypass surgery present a unique risk for reoperative valve surgery? Ann Thorac Surg 2013;95:1603-8.
- Castillo JG, Silvay G, Chikwe J. Cardiac anesthesia and surgery in geriatric patients: epidemiology, current surgical outcomes, and future directions. HSR Proc Intensive Care Cardiovasc Anesth 2009;1:6-19.
- Cavallaro P, Itagaki S, Seigerman M, Chikwe J. Operative mortality and stroke after on-pump vs off-pump surgery in high-risk patients: an analysis of 83,914 coronary bypass operations. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014;45:159-64.
- Cavallaro P, Rhee AJ, Chiang Y, Itagaki S, Seigerman M, Chikwe J. In-hospital mortality and morbidity after robotic coronary artery surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2015;29:27-31.
- Chatterjee S, Tripathi B, Virk HU, Ahmed M, Bavishi C, Krishnamoorthy P, Sardar P, Giri J, Omidvari K, Chikwe J. Does surgical repair of moderate ischemic mitral regurgitation improve survival? A systematic review. Curr Cardiol Rep 2016;18:22.
- Chiang Y, Hosseinian L, Rhee A, Itagaki S, Cavallaro P, Chikwe J. Questionable benefit of the pulmonary artery catheter after cardiac surgery in high-risk patients. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2015;29:76-81.
- Chiang YP, Chikwe J, Moskowitz AJ, Itagaki S, Adams DH, Egorova NN. Survival and long-term outcomes following bioprosthetic vs mechanical aortic valve replacement in patients aged 50 to 69 years. JAMA 2014;312:1323-9.
- Chikwe J. Anatomy eats strategy for breakfast. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018;156:247-8.
- Chikwe J. Art and literature in the anatomy of Charles Bell. J R Coll Surg Edinb 1994;39:201-7.
- Chikwe J. Cardiothoracic surgery. In: The Oxford Handbook of Surgical Cross-Cover. O'Connor IF, Urdang M, editors. Oxford, UK: Oxford UP, 2008: 157-204.
- Chikwe J. Cardiothoracic surgery. In: Training in Surgery. Gardiner MD, Borley N, editors. Oxford, UK: Oxford UP, 2009: 11-34.
- Chikwe J. Endocarditis. In: Oxford Handbook of Cardiology. Ramrakha P, Hill J, editors. Oxford, UK: Oxford UP, 2012.
- Chikwe J. Evidence based general practice. Findings of study should prompt debate. BMJ 1996;313:114-5.
- Chikwe J. Invited Commentary. Ann Thorac Surg 2015;100:873-4.
- Chikwe J. Niche generation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2016;151:640-1.
- Chikwe J. Tricuspid valve disease. In: Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography. Reich D, Fischer G, editors. Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2013.
- Chikwe J, Adams DH. Frailty: the missing element in predicting operative mortality. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010;22:109-10.
- Chikwe J, Adams DH. Functional anatomy of the mitral valve: surgical perspective of mitral valve disease setting the field for percutaneous valve repair. Percutaneous Valve Technology: Present and Future. Navia JL, Al-Ruzzeh S, editors. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, 2012.
- Chikwe J, Adams DH. Megaphone message: discouraging low-volume mitral surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2015;149:769-70.
- Chikwe J, Adams DH. State of the art: degenerative mitral valve disease. Heart Lung Circ 2009;18:319-29.
- Chikwe J, Adams DH. The donkey's shadow. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2017;154:125-6.
- Chikwe J, Adams DH, Su KN, Anyanwu AC, Lin HM, Goldstone AB, Lang RM, Fischer GW. Can three-dimensional echocardiography accurately predict complexity of mitral valve repair? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012;41:518-24.
- Chikwe J, Anyanwu AC. Surgical strategies for functional tricuspid regurgitation. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010;22:90-6.
- Chikwe J, Athanasiou T. Complications of cardiothoracic surgery. In: Complications in Surgery. Hakim NS, Vassilios P, editors. London: Imperial College Press, 2007: 245-300.
- Chikwe, Athanasiou T, Akujuo A. Cardiothoracic surgery: current trends and recent innovations. In: Key Topics in Surgical Research and Methodology. Athanasiou T, Debas H, Darzi A, editors. London: Springer, 2010: 849-74.
- Chikwe J, Athanasiou T, Casula R. Recent advances in adult cardiac surgery. Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 2006;67:200-5.
- Chikwe J, Athanasiou T, Collins P, Pepper JR. Safety and efficacy concerns regarding elective coronary artery surgery in patients with prior coronary stents. Eur Heart J 2007;28:1265.
- Chikwe J, Barnard J, Pepper JR. Myocardial abscess. Heart 2004;90:597.
- Chikwe J, Blackstone EH, Adams DH. Prosthesis type for aortic- and mitral-valve replacement. N Engl J Med 2018;378:778.
- Chikwe J, Bowditch M, Villar RN, Bedford AF. Sleeping with the enemy: Pasteurella multocida infection of a hip replacement. J R Soc Med 2000;93:478-9.
- Chikwe J, Brewer Z, Goldstone AB, Adams DH. Integrated thoracic residency program applicants: the best and the brightest? Ann Thorac Surg 2011;92:1586-91.
- Chikwe J, Castillo JG, Rahmanian PB, Akujuo A, Adams DH, Filsoufi F. The impact of moderate-to-end-stage renal failure on outcomes after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2010;24:574-9.
- Chikwe J, Cavallaro P, Itagaki S, Seigerman M, Diluozzo G, Adams DH. National outcomes in acute aortic dissection: influence of surgeon and institutional volume on operative mortality. Ann Thorac Surg 2013;95:1563-9.
- Chikwe J, Chiang YP, Egorova NN, Itagaki S, Adams DH. Survival and outcomes following bioprosthetic vs mechanical mitral valve replacement in patients aged 50 to 69 years. JAMA 2015;313:1435-42.
- Chikwe J, Croft LB, Goldstone AB, Castillo JG, Rahmanian PB, Adams DH, Filsoufi F. Comparison of the results of aortic valve replacement with or without concomitant coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with left ventricular ejection fraction < or =30% versus patients with ejection fraction >30%. Am J Cardiol 2009;104:1717-21.
- Chikwe J, de Souza AC, Pepper JR. No time to train the surgeons. BMJ 2004;328:418-9.
- Chikwe J, Egorova NN, Adams DH. Age cutoffs for bioprosthetic vs mechanical aortic valve replacement--reply. JAMA 2015;313:523-4.
- Chikwe J, Filsoufi F. Durability of tissue valves. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011;23:18-23.
- Chikwe J, Filsoufi F, Carpentier A. Principles of Carpentier's reconstructive valve surgery. In: Robotic Cardiac Surgery: Atlas and Guide. Chitwood RW, Kernstein K, editors. New York: Springer, 2014.
- Chikwe J, Filsoufi F, Carpentier A. Prosthetic valves. In: Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. Fuster V, O'Rourke R, Walsh R, editors. New York: McGraw Hill, 2011.
- Chikwe J, Filsoufi F, Carpentier AF. Prosthetic valve selection for middle-aged patients with aortic stenosis. Nat Rev Cardiol 2010;7:711-9.
- Chikwe J, Fischer GW, Adams DH. Inverted left atrial appendage. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009 20;54:e7.
- Chikwe J, Goldstone AB, Akujuo A, Castillo J, Adams DH. Autologous pericardial patch leaflet augmentation in the setting of mitral valve. In: Mitral Valve Repair: The Biological Solution. Hetzer R, Rankin JS, Yankah CH, editors. Berlin: Springer, 2011: 249-58.
- Chikwe J, Goldstone AB, Passage J, Anyanwu AC, Seeburger J, Castillo JG, Filsoufi F, Mohr FW, Adams DH. A propensity score-adjusted retrospective comparison of early and mid-term results of mitral valve repair versus replacement in octogenarians. Eur Heart J 2011;32:618-26.
- Chikwe J, Itagaki S. The authors' reply. Heart 2013;99:1063.
- Chikwe J, Itagaki S, Anyanwu A, Adams DH. Impact of concomitant tricuspid annuloplasty on tricuspid regurgitation, right ventricular function, and pulmonary artery hypertension after repair of mitral valve prolapse. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;65:1931-8.
- Chikwe J, Lee T, Itagaki S, Adams DH, Egorova NN. Long-term outcomes after off-pump versus on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting by experienced surgeons. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018;72:1478-86.
- Chikwe J, Love B. Procedures in the hybrid operating room. In: Kaplan's Cardiac Anesthesia: The Echo Era. 6th ed. Kaplan JA, Reich DL, Lake CL, Konstadt SN, editors. St. Louis: Saunders, 2011: 807-13.
- Chikwe J, Kamath A, Stelzer P. Ross procedure. Multimed Man Cardiothorac Surg 2011;2011(126):mmcts.2009.004176.
- Chikwe J, Kim M, Goldstone AB, Fallahi A, Athanasiou T. Current diagnosis and management of left main coronary disease. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2010;38:420-8.
- Chikwe J, Ovens L. Dilemmas in managing intracerebral haemorrhage and thromboembolism. J R Soc Med 2004;97:309.
- Chikwe J, Raikhelkar J, Filsoufi F, Fischer A. Current concepts in ablation of atrial fibrillation. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2009;13:215-24.
- Curry AJ, Chikwe J, Smith XG, Cai M, Schwarz H, Bradley JA, Bolton EM. OX40 (CD134) blockade inhibits the co-stimulatory cascade and promotes heart allograft survival. Transplantation 2004;78:807-14.
- Filsoufi F, Chikwe J, Adams DH. Degenerative mitral valve disease. In: Sabiston and Spencer Surgery of the Chest. 8th ed. Selke FW, Del Nido PJ, Swanson SJ, editors. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2010.
- Filsoufi F, Chikwe J, Carpentier A. Rationale for remodelling annuloplasty to address functional tricuspid regurgitation during left-sided valve surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2015;47:1-3.
- Filsoufi F, Chikwe J, Castillo JG, Rahmanian PB, Vassalotti J, Adams DH. Prosthesis type has minimal impact on survival after valve surgery in patients with moderate to end-stage renal failure. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23:3613-21.
- Filsoufi F, Chikwe J, Castillo JG, Sanz J. Multimodal imaging characterization of intracardiac thrombus and myxoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2008;85:216-3.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Adams DH. Excellent results of contemporary coronary artery bypass grafting with systematic application of modern perioperative strategies. Heart Surg Forum 2007;10:E349-56.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Adams DH. Logistic risk model predicting postoperative respiratory failure in patients undergoing valve surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008;34:953-9.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Adams DH. Predictors and early and late outcomes of respiratory failure in contemporary cardiac surgery. Chest 2008;133:713-21.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Carpentier A, Adams DH. Early and late outcomes of cardiac surgery in patients with moderate to severe preoperative renal dysfunction without dialysis. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2008;7:90-5.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Kini AS, Adams DH. Results and predictors of early and late outcome of coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with severely depressed left ventricular function. Ann Thorac Surg 2007;84:808-16.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Silvay G, Adams DH. Excellent early and late outcomes of aortic valve replacement in people aged 80 and older. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008;56:255-61.
- Filsoufi F, Rahmanian PB, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Silvay G, Adams DH. Results and predictors of early and late outcomes of coronary artery bypass graft surgery in octogenarians. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2007;21:784-92.
- Gammie JS, Chikwe J, Badhwar V, Thibault DP, Vemulapalli S, Thourani VH, et al. Isolated mitral valve surgery: The Society of Thoracic Surgeons adult cardiac surgery database analysis. Ann Thorac Surg 2018;106:716-27.
- Goldstone AB, Bronster DJ, Anyanwu AC, Goldstein MA, Filsoufi F, Adams DH, Chikwe J. Predictors and outcomes of seizures after cardiac surgery: a multivariable analysis of 2,578 patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;91:514-8.
- Goldstone AB, Bronster DJ, Chikwe J. Seizures after adult cardiac surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2011;25:e25-6.
- Goldstone A, Chikwe J. Valvular heart disease. In: Oxford Handbook of Cardiology. Ramrakha P, Hill J, editors. Oxford, UK: Oxford UP, 2012.
- Goldstone AB, Chikwe J, Pinney SP, Anyanwu AC, Funt SA, Polanco A, Adams DH. Incidence, epidemiology, and prognosis of residual pulmonary hypertension after mitral valve repair for degenerative mitral regurgitation. Am J Cardiol 2011;107:755-60.
- Goldstone AB, Chikwe J, Stelzer P. Modified Cabrol shunt to treat left ventricular rupture. Ann Thorac Surg 2010;89:313-4.
- Hannan EL, Samadashvili Z, Cozzens K, Berger PB, Chikwe J, et al. 2017 versus 2012 appropriate use criteria for percutaneous coronary interventions: impact on appropriateness ratings. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2018;11:473-8.
- Hannan EL, Samadashvili Z, Smith CR, Lahey SJ, Gold JP, Jordan D, Sundt TM 3rd, Girardi L, Ashraf MH, Chikwe J. Mitral valve repair versus replacement for patients with preserved left ventricular function without heart failure symptoms. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2019;157:1432-9.
- Harling L, Sepehripour AH, Ashrafian H, Lane T, Jarral O, Chikwe J, Dion RA, Athanasiou T. Surgical patch angioplasty of the left main coronary artery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012;42:719-27.
- Honikman R, Chikwe J, Tokita JE, Mittnacht AJ. Needle migration to the heart: an unusual association of hemodialysis and cardiovascular morbidity. A A Case Rep 2015;5:131-3.
- Hosseinian L, Chiang Y, Itagaki S, Polanco A, Rhee A, Chikwe J. Earlier versus later tracheostomy in patients with respiratory failure after cardiac surgery in the United States. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2014;28:488-92.
- Itagaki S, Cavallaro P, Adams DH, Chikwe J. Bilateral internal mammary artery grafts, mortality and morbidity: an analysis of 1 526 360 coronary bypass operations. Heart 2013;99:849-53.
- Itagaki S, Chikwe JP, Chiang YP, Egorova NN, Adams DH. Long-term risk for aortic complications after aortic valve replacement in patients with bicuspid aortic valve versus Marfan syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015 9;65:2363-9.
- Lee T, Itagaki S, Chiang YP, Egorova NN, Adams DH, Chikwe J. Survival and recurrence after acute pulmonary embolism treated with pulmonary embolectomy or thrombolysis in New York State, 1999 to 2013. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018;155:1084-90.
- Malata CM, Hodgson EL, Chikwe J, Canal AC, Purushotham AD. An application of the LeJour vertical mammaplasty pattern for skin-sparing mastectomy: a preliminary report. Ann Plast Surg 2003;51:345-52.
- Marcuse LV, Bronster DJ, Fields M, Polanco A, Yu T, Chikwe J. Evaluating the obtunded patient after cardiac surgery: the role of continuous electroencephalography. J Crit Care 2014;29:316.e1-5.
- Michelis KC, Nomura-Kitabayashi A, Lecce L, Franzén O, Koplev S, Xu Y, Santini MP, D'Escamard V, Lee JTL, Fuster V, Hajjar R, Reddy RC, Chikwe J, et al. CD90 identifies adventitial mesenchymal progenitor cells in adult human medium- and large-sized arteries. Stem Cell Reports 2018;11:242-57.
- Milla F, Castillo JG, Varghese R, Chikwe J, Anyanwu AC, Adams DH. Rationale and initial experience with the Tri-Ad Adams tricuspid annuloplasty ring. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012;143(4 Suppl):S71-3.
- Panesar SS, Chikwe J, Mirza SB, Rahman MS, Warren O, Rao C, Negus J, Zacharakis E, Darzi A, Athanasiou T. Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery may reduce the incidence of stroke in patients with significant left main stem disease. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2008;56:247-55.
- Polanco A, Breglio AM, Itagaki S, Goldstone AB, Chikwe J. Does payer status impact clinical outcomes after cardiac surgery? A propensity analysis. Heart Surg Forum 2012t;15:E262-7.
- Polanco A, Breglio AM, Itagaki S, Weiss A, Stelzer P, Chikwe J. What are the barriers to training residents in aortic root surgery? J Heart Valve Dis 2013;22:776-81.
- Polanco A, Itagaki S, Chiang Y, Chikwe J. Changing prevalence, profile, and outcomes of patients with HIV undergoing cardiac surgery in the United States. Am Heart J 2014;167:363-8.
- Rahmanian PB, Adams DH, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Bodian CA, Filsoufi F. Impact of body mass index on early outcome and late survival in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting or valve surgery or both. Am J Cardiol 2007;100:1702-8.
- Rahmanian PB, Adams DH, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Filsoufi F. Tracheostomy is not a risk factor for deep sternal wound infection after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2007;84:1984-91.
- Rahmanian PB, Filsoufi F, Castillo JG, Zaku B, Chikwe J, Carpentier A, Adams DH. Predicting postoperative renal failure requiring dialysis, and an analysis of long-term outcome in patients undergoing valve surgery. J Heart Valve Dis 2008;17:657-65.
- Rao C, Stanbridge Rde L, Chikwe J, Pepper J, Skapinakis P, Aziz O, Darzi A, Athanasiou T. Does previous percutaneous coronary stenting compromise the long-term efficacy of subsequent coronary artery bypass surgery? A microsimulation study. Ann Thorac Surg 2008;85:501-7.
- Sañudo JR, Chikwe J, Evans SE. Anomalous median nerve associated with persistent median artery. J Anat 1994;185(Pt 2):447-51.
- Schnittman SR, Adams DH, Itagaki S, Toyoda N, Egorova NN, Chikwe J. Bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement: revisiting prosthesis choice in patients younger than 50 years old. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018;155:539-47.
- Schnittman SR, Itagaki S, Toyoda N, Adams DH, Egorova NN, Chikwe J. Survival and long-term outcomes after mitral valve replacement in patients aged 18 to 50 years. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2018;155:96-102.
- Seigerman M, Cavallaro P, Itagaki S, Chung I, Chikwe J. Incidence and outcomes of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in patients undergoing cardiac surgery in North America: an analysis of the nationwide inpatient sample. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2014;28:98-102.
- Silbiger JJ, Krasner A, Chikwe J, Marino T, Mathewkutty S, Marcali M, Edebohls B, Kamran M. Pseudoaneurysm formation in infective endocarditis. Echocardiography 2013;30:E319-21.
- Silvay G, Castillo JG, Chikwe J, Flynn B, Filsoufi F. Cardiac anesthesia and surgery in geriatric patients. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2008;12:18-28.
- Stelzer P, Itagaki S, Varghese R, Chikwe J. Operative mortality and morbidity after the Ross procedure: a 26- year learning curve. J Heart Valve Dis 2013;22:767-75.
- Stewart A, Chikwe J. Thinking beyond the tube graft: using malperfusion as a guide to define treatment of type A dissection. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015;65:2636-7.
- Tannous H, Chiang Y, Cavallaro P, Chikwe J. Permanent pacemaker requirement after concomitant surgical ablation for atrial fibrillation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2014;46:1041.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Incidental lung nodule. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 47-50.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Massive hemoptysis. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 35-8.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Mediastinal masses. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 39-42.
- Tannous H, Chikwe J, Yammine MB. Tracheal stenosis. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 43-6.
- Toyoda N, Chikwe J, Itagaki S, Gelijns AC, Adams DH, Egorova NN. Trends in infective endocarditis in California and New York State, 1998-2013. JAMA 2017;317:1652-60.
- Toyoda N, Itagaki S, Egorova NN, Tannous H, Anyanwu AC, El-Eshmawi A, Adams DH, Chikwe J. Real-world outcomes of surgery for native mitral valve endocarditis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2017;154:1906-12.e9.
- Toyoda N, Itagaki S, Tannous H, Egorova NN, Chikwe J. Bioprosthetic versus mechanical valve replacement for infective endocarditis: focus on recurrence rates. Ann Thorac Surg 2018;106:99-106.
- Weiner MM, Poppers J, Chikwe J. Is it all just academic? J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2018;32:682-3.
- Weiss A, Chikwe J. Ventricular septal defect. In: TSRA Clinical Scenarios in Cardiothoracic Surgery. Nguyen TC, Loor G, editors. Chicago: Thoracic Surgery Residents Association, 2013.
- Weiss AJ, Pawale A, Hollinger IB, Stelzer P, Chikwe J. Repair of an aortic sinus right ventricular fistula and aortic leaflet disruption after a stab wound. Ann Thorac Surg 2012;94:1354.
- Weiss AJ, Stelzer P, Chikwe J. Clamp times, teaching, and technical excellence. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013;146:735.
- > Click here to see abstracts/full text of Dr. Chikwe's journal articles presented in reverse chronological order, starting with most recent, on PubMed (National Library of Medicine).
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS Eng)
- English; Italian
- British Medical Association, 1997 - present
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgeons, 2009 - present
- Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2000 - present
- Royal Society of Medicine, 2006 - present
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, 2001 - present
- Editorial Board
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2014 - present
- Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2014 - present
- Seminars in Cardiovascular Anesthesia, 2009 - present
- Ad Hoc Peer Reviewer
- American Heart Journal
- British Journal of Cardiology
- British Medical Journal
- European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- Heart Lung Circulation
- Journal of Heart Valve Disease
- Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- The Lancet