- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- See video of Dr. Czerwonka (1:08 min)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (2008)
- General Surgery, Wright State University
- Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery, University of Toronto
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Cancer Center (Head and Neck, Thyroid Oncology Team)
- Skull Base Surgery Center
- Head and neck squamous cell cancers (incl. oral, lip, tongue, tonsil, larynx, nasopharynx, etc.)
- Salivary gland tumors and cancers (incl. parotid and submandibular gland)
- Rare head and neck tumors (incl. parapharyngeal space tumors, schwannomas, fibromas, carotid body tumors, hemangiomas, etc.)
- Advanced head and neck skin cancer (incl. squamous cell and melanoma)
- Microvascular head and neck reconstructive surgery
- Thyroid nodules and thyroid cancer
- Thyroid ultrasound and biopsy
- Parathyroid ultrasound
- Minimally invasive parathyroid surgery
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in the head and neck
- Skull base reconstruction
Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-068
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
- Personal Statement
My focus is on patients with head and neck cancers and tumors including thyroid nodules/cancer and parathyroid disease. I believe very strongly in a comprehensive team approach to diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up for my patients. I work closely with other cancer experts at Stony Brook to provide state-of-the-art care for the best possible results in terms of cure AND quality of life. My patients share in decision making, and I encourage enrollment in clinical trials and utilization of new treatments and technology. My research interests are in head and neck ultrasound and in optimizing head and neck cancer and thyroid cancer treatment pathways.
- Best Teacher Award, Department of Surgery, Stony Brook Medicine (2017)
- Kettering Medical Center Resident of the Year, Wright State University Department of Surgery (2013)
- Chao E, Czerwonka L. Hyperthyroidism. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 423-6.
- Czerwonka L. Goiter. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 431-4.
- Czerwonka L. Hypothyroidism. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 419-22.
- Czerwonka L. Thyroiditis. In: Docimo S Jr, Pauli EM, editors. Clinical Algorithms in General Surgery. New York: Springer, 2019: 427-30.
- Czerwonka L, Bissada E, Goldstein DP, Wood RE, Lam EW, Yu E, Lazinski D, Irish JC. High-resolution cone-beam computed tomography for assessment of bone invasion in oral cancer: comparison with conventional computed tomography. Head Neck 2017;39:2016-20.
- Czerwonka L, De Santis RJ, Horowitz G, Hong M, Orsini M, Enepekides D, Goldstein DP, Dort J, Higgins K. Staging cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma metastases to the parotid gland. Laryngoscope 2017;127:2063-9.
- Czerwonka L, Ford CN, Machi AT, Leverson GE, Jiang JJ. A-P positioning of medialization thyroplasty in an excised larynx model. Laryngoscope 2009;119:591-6.
- Czerwonka L, Freeman J, McIver B, Randolph GW, Shah JP, Shaha AR, Sherman SI, Tuttle RM, Witterick IJ. Summary of proceedings of the second World Congress on Thyroid Cancer. Head Neck 2014;36:917-20.
- Czerwonka L, Jiang JJ, Tao C. Vocal nodules and edema may be due to vibration-induced rises in capillary pressure. Laryngoscope 2008;118:748-52.
- Ganly I, Amit M, Kou L, Palmer FL, Migliacci J, Katabi N, Yu C, Kattan MW, Binenbaum Y, Sharma K, Naomi R, Abib A, Miles B, Yang X, Lei D, Bjoerndal K, Godballe C, Mücke T, Wolff KD, Fliss D, Eckardt AM, Chiara C, Sesenna E, Ali S, Czerwonka L, et al. Nomograms for predicting survival and recurrence in patients with adenoid cystic carcinoma. An international collaborative study. Eur J Cancer 2015;51:2768-76.
- Tao C, Jiang JJ, Czerwonka L. Liquid accumulation in vibrating vocal fold tissue: a simplified model based on a fluid-saturated porous solid theory. J Voice 2010;24:260-9.
- Zhang Y, Czerwonka L, Tao C, Jiang JJ. A biphasic theory for the viscoelastic behaviors of vocal fold lamina propria in stress relaxation. J Acoust Soc Am 2008;123:1627-36.
- Languages spoken include English, Polish, and French