- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Columbia University (1981)
- General Surgery, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- Colon and Rectal Surgery, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Management of diseases of the small bowel, colon, rectum, and anus, including colon, rectal, and anal cancer, diverticulitis, familial polyposis, chronic ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, ileoanal reservoir (J-pouch), colon polyps, incontinence, prolapse, anorectal abscess, fistula, fissure, and hemorrhoids
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T18-046B
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
For patient care information, including insurance participation and practice locations, click here.
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, representing the top 10% of physicians in the New York Metropolitan area
- Attending of the Year Award (General Surgery Residents Class of 2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Voluntary Faculty Award (Stony Brook Medical School Class of 2008)
- El-Gohary Y, Abbas SK, Yelika SB, Smithy W, Bergamaschi R. Colonoscopic management of ileocolic anastomotic torsion. Colorectal Dis 2017;19:208-9.
- Smithy WB, Cuadros CL, Johnson H, Kral JG. Effects of ileal interposition on body weight and intestinal morphology in dogs. Int J Obes 1986;10:453-60.
- Smithy WB, Wexner SD, Dailey TH. The diagnosis and treatment of acute appendicitis in the aged. Dis Colon Rectum 1986;29:170-3.
- Wexner SD, Smithy WB, Milsom JW, Dailey TH. The surgical management of anorectal diseases in AIDS and pre-AIDS patients. Dis Colon Rectum 1986;29:719-23.
- Wexner SD, Smithy WB, Trillo C, Hopkins BS, Dailey TH. Emergency colectomy for cytomegalovirus ileocolitis in patients with the acquired immune deficiency syndrome. Dis Colon Rectum 1988;31:755-61.