The Dietetic Internship Program at Stony Brook Medicine, at State University of New York, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2190
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
Phone: (800) 877-1600 or (312) 889-0040
Fax: (312) 899-4772
The Dietetic Internship Program is fully accredited. The program will be up for reaccreditation in June 2025.
Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). Therefore, by December 31, 2023, a baccalaureate-trained intern must have successfully met all internship requirements and be submitted into CDR's Registration Eligibility Processing System (REPS) by the Program. For more information about this requirement visit CDR's website: https://www.cdrnet.org/graduatedegree.
To comply with the new requirements set forth by CDR, Stony Brook University offers the following options for those with a DPD (Didactic Program in Dietetics) Verification Statement:
- Applicants with a master's degree (in any field) can apply directly to the Stony Brook University Dietetic Internship Program via DICAS. Go to the Admissions Process page on our website for instructions. Applicants who will be completing their master's degree in the summer after the April match can be granted conditional acceptance into the Dietetic Internship program and are encouraged to apply. Acceptance will be conditional on conferment of the master's degree.
- Applicants who have not yet earned a graduate degree and who are enrolled in a self-identified graduate degree program, with 9 credits or less remaining, can, if matched to the program, be conditionally admitted. The applicant will be required to submit an official transcript conferring the graduate degree before a DI Verification statement will be granted.
- Applicants without a master's degree have these options:
- Applicants can apply to the Stony Brook University Dietetic Internship program and the Stony Brook University MS in Nutrition simultaneously. If matched to the Stony Brook University Dietetic Internship program, matched applicants will be accepted and enrolled into both our Dietetic Internship and our MS in Nutrition Program. The Dietetic Internship program will be completed concurrently with the MS in Nutrition, and students can expect to sit for the registrations examination in 24 months. Links to applications for both programs can be found on the Admissions Process page on our website. Letters of recommendation and the personal statement from DICAS can be used for the Stony Brook University MS in Nutrition application.
- Students in the Stony Brook University MS in Nutrition program, who have successfully completed 6 credits in the Stony Brook University MS in Nutrition can apply for the Stony Brook University Dietetic Internship program outside of the DICAS matching process. See the Admissions Process page on our website. Graduate students will be interviewed for a preselect placement in the Stony Brook University Dietetic Internship program. If selected, interns will be eligible to sit for the registration examination upon completion of the Stony Brook MS and Dietetic Internship programs.
- Applicants can wait to participate in the DICAS match after completing (or almost completing) a master's degree at Stony Brook University or another institution. At that point, the applicant can participate in the DICAS match, applying to the Stony Brook University Dietetic Internship program.
These admissions requirements are new and can be confusing. Please don't hesitate to contact the Program Administrator, Sharon Schmidt, at 631-638-2132 or email@example.com to discuss your options to meet CDR's requirements.
In most states, graduates also must obtain licensure or certification to practice. For more information about state licensure requirements, click here.
For more information about educational pathways to become a RDN, click here.