Click here to view Steps to Becoming a Registered Dietitian
- Clinical Rotations:
- 5 weeks of outpatient rotation at Stony Brook University Hospital
- 11 weeks of nutrition therapy rotation at Stony Brook University Hospital or an affiliated hospital
- 4 weeks of long-term care
- 64 hour longitudinal research rotation
- 5 weeks of public health nutrition rotation including work at Family, Population and Preventive Medicine and WIC.
- 7 weeks of food service rotation including 4 weeks food service management and 3 weeks school food service
- 1 week virtual renal rotation
- 3 week elective rotation
- 61 hours of Orientation and Seminar
- 1 week RD examination review
Upon successful completion of the Dietetic Internship Program, interns are eligible to sit for the registration examination.
Information on becoming a Registered Dietitian in New York State: http://www.nutritioned.org/registered-dietitian-new-york.html
Stony Brook University does not give credit or supervised practice hours for prior learning experience.
This program uses Blackboard for the facilitation of communications between faculty and students, submission of assignments, and posting of grades. You are responsible for having a reliable computer and Internet connection throughout the term. Caution! You will be at a disadvantage if you attempt to complete all coursework on a smartphone or tablet. It may not be possible to submit the files required for your homework assignments.
The following list details a minimum recommended computer set-up and the software packages you will need to have access to and be able to use:
- PC with Windows 8 or higher (we recommend a 3-year Warranty)
- Macintosh with OS 10.11 or higher (we recommend a 3-year Warranty)
- Intel Core i5 or higher
- 250 GB Hard Drive
- 8 GB RAM
- Latest version of Chrome, Firefox or Explorer; Mac users may use Chrome, Firefox or Safari. (A complete list of supported browsers and operating systems can be found on the My Institution page when you log in to Blackboard.)
- High-speed internet connection
- Word processing software (Microsoft Word, Pages, etc.)
- Speakers (either internal or external) or headphones
- Ability to download and install free software applications and plug-ins (note: you must have administrator access to install applications and plug-ins).
- Adobe Flash player with the latest update is crucial for playing multiple videos throughout the course
Interns will be required to bring laptops to Orientation, Seminar and Review Week.