Freedom from obesity is attainable! The key to success is to choose the right combination of tools and support within a top-level clinical program directed by a leader in the field.
Our interdisciplinary Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center meets this challenge in every way, and offers treatment plans tailored to each patient’s needs, lifestyle, and goals.
The center is fully accredited as a comprehensive bariatric facility — for the care of both adults and children — by the new Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) of the American College of Surgeons and American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
MBSAQIP accreditation demonstrates our center's commitment to delivering the highest-quality care for its bariatric surgery patients (read more).
Visit the website of the Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center for complete information for those in need to change their weight, their health, and their life!
Weight loss options may include behavior modification, counseling, diet, exercise, group support, medical management, and advanced bariatric surgery.
The center’s director, Aurora D. Pryor, MD, is a nationally renowned bariatric specialist, researcher, and scholar, specializing in use of the latest laparoscopic techniques.
Dr. Pryor and her colleagues provide a full range of surgical options for weight loss, including gastric banding, gastric bypass, and gastric sleeve. Both of our bariatric surgeons have expertise in minimally invasive procedures.
For information about the Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center, call the patient care coordinator, Catherine M. Tuppo, PT, MS, CLT-LANA, at 631-444-2274 (BARI).
Come to our Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Seminars led by Dr. Pryor at Stony Brook University Hospital, held on 1st and 3rd Mondays each month 5:00-7:00 pm.
"I no longer need medicine for diabetes or blood pressure" … "I can play with my kids" … "I just simply feel better" — Things we often hear from patients after treatment.
- "Is Bariatric 'Weight Loss' Surgery Right for You?"
- "How to Choose a Bariatric Procedure: The Best Weight Loss Surgery for You"
- "Medicare Extends Obesity Coverage: New Weight Loss Benefits and Services"
- "Fighting Obesity among Teenagers with Weight Loss Surgery: The Shani Gofman Story"
- "Studies Confirm Bariatric Surgery Is Better Than Medical Care for Treating Diabetes"
- "New Studies Confirm Effectiveness of Treating Diabetes with Weight Loss Surgery"
- "Bariatric Surgery and Bone Fracture: Is There a Risk?"
- "Weight Loss Surgery: Is It Time to Abandon the Band?"
Please visit the website of the Bariatric and Metabolic Weight Loss Center for more online information.