- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Director, Colon and Rectal Surgery Residency
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine (2002)
- General Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- Colon and Rectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Laparoscopic — including robotic — and conventional surgery for colon and rectal cancer, familial polyposis, diverticulitis, and rectal prolapse
- Inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis
- Transanal excision of rectal polyps
- Treatment of anorectal abscess, fistula, fissure, anal condyloma, hemorrhoids, constipation, and fecal incontinence
- Incisional/ventral hernia
- Anorectal physiology/manometry studies
- Anorectal ultrasound
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T18-046B
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
- Personal Statement
My practice comprises all aspects of colon and rectal surgery, along with anal surgery and pelvic floor dysfunction. My interests include minimally invasive surgery, colorectal cancer, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, reoperative surgery, fecal incontinence, and anorectal reconstruction. I also perform anal physiology studies such as anal ultrasound and anal manometry at Stony Brook’s GI Motility Center. I am actively involved in teaching of medical students, residents, and fellows, and in clinical research activities relating to colorectal diseases. My goal is to provide high-quality, up-to-date, and compassionate care to all my patients.
- Selection for listing in "New York Super Doctors" insert of New York Times (May 15, 2016)
- Selected for inclusion in the Guide to America's Top Surgeons published by the Consumers' Research Council of America (2009)
- Third Prize for Clinical Research, South Florida Chapter of the American College of Surgeons (2008)
- Eugene W. Friedman MD Award for Clinical Excellence, Mount Sinai School of Medicine (2002)
- Anderson CE, Denoya PI. Diagnosis and management of bleeding small bowel tumors. In: Pryor AD, Pappas TN, Branch MS, editors. Gastrointestinal Bleeding: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Management. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2016: 169-80.
- Baril DT, Denoya PI, Ellozy SH, Carroccio A, Marin ML. Endovascular repair of a traumatic arteriovenous fistula 34 years after the injury: report of a case. Surg Today 2007;37:78-81.
- Bishawi M, Fakhoury M, Denoya PI, Stein S, Bergamaschi R. Surgical site infection rates: open versus hand-assisted colorectal resections. Tech Coloproctol 2014;18:381-6.
- Buscaglia JM, Fakhoury J, Loyal J, Denoya PI, Kazi E, Stein SA, Scriven R, Bergamaschi R. Simulated colonoscopy training using a low-cost physical model improves responsiveness of surgery interns. Colorectal Dis 2015;17:530-5.
- Buscaglia JM, Karas J, Palladino N, Fakhoury J, Denoya PI, Nagula S, Bucobo JC, Bishawi M, Bergamaschi R. Simulated transanal NOTES sigmoidectomy training improves the responsiveness of surgical endoscopists. Gastrointest Endosc 2014;80:126-32.
- Cagino K, Altieri MS, Yang J, Nie L, Talamini M, Spaniolas K, Denoya P, Pryor A. Effect of academic status on outcomes of surgery for rectal cancer. Surg Endosc 2018;32:2774-80.
- Connolly TM, Foppa C, Kazi E, Denoya PI, Bergamaschi R. Impact of surgical site infection reduction strategy after colorectal resection. Colorectal Dis 2016;18:910-8.
- Denoya P, Canedo J, Berho M, Bennett A, Rosen L, Hull T, Wexner S. Granulomas in Crohn's disease: does progression through the bowel layers affect presentation or predict recurrence? Colorectal Dis 2010;13:1142-7.
- Denoya P, Divino C, Khalili M, Petersen B. Histiocytic sarcoma of the spleen. Surg Rounds 2005;28:214+.
- Denoya P, Sands D. Anorectal physiologic evaluation of constipation. Clin Colon Rectal Surg 2008;21:114-21.
- Denoya P, Tam J, Bergamaschi R. Hemorrhoidal dearterialization with mucopexy versus hemorrhoidectomy: 3-year follow-up assessment of a randomized controlled trial. Tech Coloproctol 2014;18:1081-5.
- Denoya P, Wang H, Sands D, Nogueras J, Weiss E, Wexner SD. Short-term outcomes of laparoscopic total mesorectal excision following neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy. Surg Endosc 2010;24:933-8.
- Denoya PI, Fakhoury M, Chang K, Fakhoury J, Bergamaschi R. Dearterialization with mucopexy vs. haemorrhoidectomy for grade III or IV haemorrhoids: short-term results of a double-blind randomized controlled trial. Colorectal Dis 2013;15:1281-8.
- Denoya PI, Schluender SJ, Bub DS, Gorfine SR, Bauer JJ. Delayed Kock pouch nipple valve failure: is revision indicated? Dis Colon Rectum 2008;51:1544-7.
- Denoya PI, Weiss EG. Surgery for pilonidal disease and hydradenitis suppurativa. In: Whitlow CB, Beck DE, Margolin DA, Hicks TC, editors. Improved Outcomes in Colon and Rectal Surgery. New York: Informa Healthcare, 2009: 215-25.
- Denoya PI, Wexner SD. Ileus. Epocrates Online. 2009.
- Evensen NA, Li Y, Kuscu C, Liu J, Cathcart J, Banach A, Zhang Q, Li E, Joshi S, Yang J, Denoya PI, Pastorekova S, Zucker S, Shroyer KR, Cao J. Hypoxia promotes colon cancer dissemination through up-regulation of cell migration-inducing protein (CEMIP). Oncotarget 2015;6:20723-39.
- Foppa C, Denoya PI, Tarta C, Bergamaschi R. Indocyanine green fluorescent dye during bowel surgery: are the blood supply "guessing days" over? Tech Coloproctol 2014;18:753-8.
- Hiranyakas A, Da Silva G, Denoya P, Shawki S, Wexner SD. Colorectal anastomotic stricture: is it associated with inadequate colonic mobilization? Tech Coloproctol 2013;17:371-5.
- Lascarides C, Buscaglia JM, Denoya PI, Nagula S, Bucobo JC, Bergamaschi R. Laparoscopic right colectomy versus laparoscopic-assisted colonoscopic polypectomy for endoscopically unresectable polyps: a randomised controlled trial. Colorectal Dis 2016;18:1050-6.
- Li Y, Kuscu C, Banach A, Zhang Q, Pulkoski-Gross A, Kim D, Liu J, Roth E, Li E, Shroyer KR, Denoya PI, Zhu X, Chen L, Cao J. miR-181a-5p inhibits cancer cell migration and angiogenesis via downregulation of matrix metalloproteinase-14. Cancer Res 2015;75:2674-85.
- Lung BE, Yelika SB, Murthy AS, Gachabayov M, Denoya P. Cecal bascule: a systematic review of the literature. Tech Coloproctol 2018;22:75-80.
- Shawki S, Bashankaev B, Denoya P, Seo C, Weiss EG, Wexner SD. What is the definition of "conversion" in laparoscopic colorectal surgery? Surg Endosc 2009;23:2321-6.
- Wang H, Safar B, Wexner S, Denoya P, Cruz-Correa M, Berho M. The clinical significance of fat clearance lymph node harvest for invasive rectal adenocarcinoma following neoadjuvant therapy. Dis Colon Rectum 2009;52:1767-73.
- Wexner SD, Denoya P. 19th Annual International Colorectal Disease Symposium. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;2:315-7.
- Xu X, Zhang Y, Williams J, Antoniou E, McCombie WR, Wu S, Zhu W, Davidson NO, Denoya P, Li E. Parallel comparison of Illumina RNA-Seq and Affymetrix microarray platforms on transcriptomic profiles generated from 5-aza-deoxy-cytidine treated HT-29 colon cancer cells and simulated datasets. BMC Bioinformatics 2013;14 Suppl 9:S1.
- Zakhaleva J, Tam J, Denoya PI, Bishawi M, Bergamaschi R. The impact of intravenous fluid administration on complication rates in bowel surgery within an enhanced recovery protocol: a randomized controlled trial. Colorectal Dis 2013;15:892-9.