- Associate Professor of Surgery
- Pediatric Medical Director, Trauma Center
- Director, General Surgery Residency
- See video of Dr. Scriven (0:49 min)
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine (1990)
- General Surgery, SUNY-Health Science Center at Brooklyn
- Pediatric Surgery, SUNY-Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Affiliated Specialty Center
- Surgical management of congenital and acquired anomalies/diseases of the neck, chest, abdomen, anorectum, and soft tissues in children (newborns to adolescents aged 17 years), including, but not limited to, congenital anomalies of the esophagus
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Inguinal hernias
- Undescended testes
- Tumors of the kidneys, adrenal glands, gastrointestinal tract, lymphatics, and soft tissues
- Surgical consultation in pediatric trauma
- Minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery
Division of Pediatric Surgery
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Center T19-090
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8191
For patient care information, including insurance participation and practice locations, click here.
- Personal Statement
- I grew up around the corner from Stony Brook University and graduated from Sachem High School. To provide the most advanced treatments of congenital and acquired conditions to infants, children, and adolescents of Long Island is one of my lifelong goals. This is what I look to do every day at University Hospital. As a surgical educator and the director of the residency program in general surgery here, I am committed to produce future American surgical leaders, the surgeons of tomorrow.
- Selected for inclusion on New York Magazine's "Best Doctors" list, representing the top 2% of physicians in the greater New York metropolitan area
- Selected for inclusion in the Castle Connolly Guide, Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, representing the top 10% of physicians in the New York Metropolitan area
- Recipient of 2017 Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
- Recipient of 2016 service award from Blanca's House for "support, commitment, and dedication to the vision and mission of Blanca’s House" (i.e., medical missions in Latin America)
- Selected for inclusion in Guide to America's Top Surgeons published by the Consumers' Research Council of America
- Recipient of Aesculapius Award for Teaching (2011), School of Medicine, Stony Brook University
- Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2009)
- Selected as “Man of the Year in Medicine” in 2006 by the Village Times Herald
- Altieri MS, Frenkel C, Scriven R, Thornton D, Halbert C, Talamini M, Telem DA, Pryor AD. Effect of minimally invasive surgery fellowship on residents' operative experience. Surg Endosc 2017;31:107-11.
- Azu MC, McCormack JE, Scriven RJ, Brebbia JS, Shapiro MJ, Lee TK. Venous thromboembolic events in pediatric trauma patients: is prophylaxis necessary? J Trauma 2005;59:1345-9.
- Blumer SL, Zucconi WB, Cohen HL, Scriven RJ, Lee TK. The vomiting neonate: a review of the ACR appropriateness criteria and ultrasound's role in the workup of such patients. Ultrasound Q 2004;20:79-89.
- Buscaglia JM, Fakhoury J, Loyal J, Denoya PI, Kazi E, Stein SA, Scriven R, Bergamaschi R. Simulated colonoscopy training using a low-cost physical model improves responsiveness of surgery interns. Colorectal Dis 2015;17:530-5.
- Cacciarelli TV, Sumrani N, Scriven R, DiBenedetto A, Hong JH, Sommer BG. Influence of donor and recipient age on renal allograft survival time. Transplant Proc 1993;25:3140-2.
- El-Gohary Y, Pagkratis S, Lee T, Scriven RJ. Supernumerary ovary presenting as a paraduodenal duplication cyst. J Pediatr Surg Case Rep 2015;3:316-9.
- Essani R, Scriven RJ, McLarty AJ, Merriam LT, Ahn H, Bergamaschi R. Simulated laparoscopic sigmoidectomy training: responsiveness of surgery residents. Dis Colon Rectum 2009;52:1956-61.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven RJ, Lessin MS. Frequently encountered problems in pediatric surgery I: neonatal problems. Hospital Physician: General Surgery Board Review Manual. Vol. 4 (Part 1). Wayne, PA: Turner White, 1998.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven RJ, Lessin MS. Frequently encountered problems in pediatric surgery II: older infants and children. Hospital Physician: General Surgery Board Review Manual. Vol. 4 (Part 2). Wayne, PA: Turner White, 1998.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven R, Nguyen M, Nguyen V, Klotz D, Ramenofsky ML. Duplication of the vermiform appendix in gastroschisis. J Am Coll Surg 1999;189:426.
- Gilchrist BF, Scriven R, Sanchez J, Panetta T, Klotz D, Nguyen M, Ramenofsky ML. The application of vascular technology to esophageal and airway strictures. J Pediatr Surg 2002;37:47-9.
- Hsieh LB, Tan JM, Trostler M, Scriven R, Lee TK, Seidman PA. Single-shot thoracic epidural: an aid to earlier discharge for pediatric laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Paediatr Anaesth 2016;26:945-6.
- Hu YY, Cohen HL, Scriven RJ. Picture of the month. Omental infarction. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2007;161:773-4.
- Kanu A, Tegay D, Scriven R. Bronchial anomalies in VACTERL association. Pediatr Pulmonol 2008;43:930-2.
- Rutigliano D, Egnor MR, Priebe CJ, McCormack JE, Strong N, Scriven RJ, Lee TK. Decompressive craniectomy in pediatric patients with traumatic brain injury with intractable elevated intracranial pressure. J Pediatr Surg 2006;41:83-7.
- Scriven RJ, Cirocco WC, Golub RW. Latex allergy—report of an anaphylactic reaction. Surgery 1995;117:350-2.
- Scriven RJ, Cooper B. Immunology of NEC. In: Gilchrist BF, editor. Necrotizing Enterocolitis. Georgetown, TX: Landes Bioscience, 2000.
- Spentzouris G, Gasparis A, Scriven RJ, Lee TK, Labropoulos N. Natural history of deep vein thrombosis in children. Phlebology 2015;30:412-7.
- Spentzouris G, Scriven RJ, Lee TK, Labropoulos N. A review of pediatric venous thromboembolism in relation to adults. J Vasc Surg 2012;55:1785-93.
- Taira BR, Fenton KE, Lee TK, Meng H, McCormack JE, Huang E, Singer AJ, Scriven RJ, Shapiro MJ. Ventilator-associated pneumonia in pediatric trauma patients. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2009;10:491-4.
- Valerie E, Gilchrist BF, Frischer J, Scriven R, Klotz DH, Ramenofsky ML. Diagnosis and treatment of urethral prolapse in children. Urology 1999;54:1082-4.
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)