Publications in peer-reviewed journals from fellows, residents and students in the ID division.
Motley MP, Bennett-Guerrero E, Fries BC, Spitzer ED.Crit Care Explor. 2020 Jun 15;2(6):e0154. doi: 10.1097/CCE.0000000000000154. eCollection 2020 Jun.PMID: 32696013 Free PMC article. Review.
Singer AJ, Fries BC.Clin Exp Emerg Med. 2020 Jul 20. doi: 10.15441/ceem.20.054. Online ahead of print.PMID: 32683854 No abstract available.
Bhattacharya S, Sae-Tia S, Fries BC.Antibiotics (Basel). 2020 Jun 9;9(6):312. doi: 10.3390/antibiotics9060312.PMID: 32526921 Free PMC article. Review.
Ivan Duin D, Arias CA, Komarow L, Chen L, Hanson BM, Weston G, Cober E, Garner OB, Jacob JT, Satlin MJ, Fries BC, Garcia-Diaz J, Doi Y, Dhar S, Kaye KS, Earley M, Hujer AM, Hujer KM, Domitrovic TN, Shropshire WC, Dinh A, Manca C, Luterbach CL, Wang M, Paterson DL, Banerjee R, Patel R, Evans S, Hill C, Arias R, Chambers HF, Fowler VG Jr, Kreiswirth BN, Bonomo RA; Multi-Drug Resistant Organism Network Investigators.Lancet Infect Dis. 2020 Jun;20(6):731-741. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(19)30755-8. Epub 2020 Mar 6.PMID: 32151332
1. Eric Sin, George Psevdos, Luis A Marcos. Mycobacterium marinum Tenosynovitis Following Steroid Injection in an Avid Seaman From Long Island, New York. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2019;101(6):1193-1194. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.19-0336.
2. Luis A Marcos, Paul M Castle, Kalie Smith, Teresa Khoo, Eric J Morley, Michelle Bloom, Bettina C Fries. Risk Factors for Lyme Carditis: A Case-Control Study. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2019. doi: 10.1177/2047487319876046.
3. Olga Kaplun, Magdalena Pupiales, George Psevdos. Adjuvant Maggot Debridement Therapy for Deep Wound Infection Due to Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Glob Infect Dis;11(4):165-167. doi: 10.4103/jgid.jgid_30_19.
4. Olga Kaplun, George Psevdos. Sustained HIV Virologic Suppression With Crushed Combination Tablets Containing Elvitegravir, Cobicistat, Emtricitabine, and Tenofovir Alafenamide. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2019. 1;76(16):1180-1181. doi: 10.1093/ajhp/zxz132.
5. Ariel Yang, Nahid Bakhtari, Liana Langdon-Embry, Emile Redwood, Simon Grandjean Lapierre, Patricia Rakotomanga, Armand Rafalimanantsoa, Juan De Dios Santos, Inès Vigan-Womas, Astrid M Knoblauch, Luis A Marcos. Kankanet: An Artificial Neural Network-Based Object Detection Smartphone Application and Mobile Microscope as a Point-Of-Care Diagnostic Aid for Soil-Transmitted Helminthiases. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2019;13(8):e0007577. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0007577.
6. Rahul Mahapatra, David Cohen, Asa W Viccellio, Aaron Sasson, Jela Bandovic, Eric D Spitzer, Audun Lier, Luis A Marcos. Acute Acalculous Cholecystitis as a Manifestation of Ehrlichiosis. Ticks Tick Borne Dis. 2019;10(5):1033-1034. doi: 10.1016/j.ttbdis.2019.05.006.
7. Audun J Lier, Kalie Smith, Kerim Odekon, Silvia Bronson, Erin Taub, Mathew Tharakan, Gerald J Kelly, Pruthvi Patel, Luis A Marcos. Risk Factors Associated With Linkage to Care Among Suburban Hepatitis C-Positive Baby Boomers and Injection Drug Users. Infect Dis Ther 2019;8(3):417-428. doi: 10.1007/s40121-019-0249-y. Epub 2019 May 25.
8. Lee Hakami, Paul M Castle, Jaydon Kiernan, Koeun Choi, Anjanirina Rahantamalala, Emma Rakotomalala, Rado Rakotoarison, Patricia Wright, Simon Grandjean Lapierre, Ivan Crnosija, Peter Small, Ines Vigan-Womas, Luis A Marcos. Epidemiology of Soil Transmitted Helminth and Strongyloides Stercoralis Infections in Remote Rural Villages of Ranomafana National Park, Madagascar. Pathog Glob Health 2019;113(2):94-100. doi: 10.1080/20477724.2019.1589927.
9. Rajeev Fernando, David Capone, Susan Elrich, Raymond Mantovani, Luther Quarles 3rd, Alison D'Amato, Nathan Lowe, Ashwin Malhotra, Teresa Khoo, Sara Zufan, Maria Morales-Betoulle, Shelley M Brown, Deborah Cannon, James C Graziano, John D Klena, Shannon Whitmer, Stuart T Nichol, Paul Strachan, Bernard C Camins, Luis A Marcos. Infection With New York Orthohantavirus and Associated Respiratory Failure and Multiple Cerebral Complications. Emerg Infect Dis 2019;25(6):1241-1243. doi: 10.3201/eid2506.181966.
10. Eric Sin, Adam J Korus, Alexandra Patterson, George Psevdos. An Unanticipated Finding on Peripheral Smear: Blue-green Crystals of Impeding Death? Am J Hematol 2019;94(6):733-734. doi: 10.1002/ajh.25286.
- Lyme Disease in Hispanics in Long Island, New York: A New Health Disparity in the U.S. (ID fellow Dr. Teresa Khoo, IDWeek 2017, Travel Award)
- Barriers to Successful Linkage to Care Among HCV Positive Individuals Presenting to a Major Tertiary Medical Center on Long Island, New York. (Resident Dr. Audun Lier, IDWeek 2017)
- Clinical Features of PCR Confirmed Human Ehrlichiosis and Anaplasmosis in an Endemic Area of the Northeast U.S. (Resident Dr. Fleischner, IDWeek 2017)
- Investigation of Epidemiology and Pathogenesis of Co-infection with Multiple Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobactereciae in Hospitalized Patients (Dr. Fries’ Lab, Dr. Holowka, IDWeek 2017)
- Screening for Lyme Disease with C6 Peptide at a Veterans Hospital in Long Island, NY (ID Fellow, Dr. Robert Chow, IDWeek 2017, Travel Award).
- Mapping the efficacy of routine mass drug administration for soil-transmitted helminth infection with tailored educational intervention in remote Madagascar. (MS Emilie Redwood, Stony Brook University School of Medicine; IDSA Foundation Announces Medical Scholarship 2017).
- Evaluating a Deep Neutral Network Smartphone App for Point-of-Care Diagnosis of Soil-Transmitted Helminthiases [MS Ariel Yang, MS Nahid Bakhtari; David E. Rogers Student Fellowship Award 2018 (NYAM), the Benjamin H. Kean Travel Fellowship 2018 (ASTMH), the Medical Scholars Program 2018 (IDSA), and International Research Fellowship 2018 (SBU). Mentor: Luis A. Marcos].
- A Screening Program for Hepatitis C among Baby Boomers in the Northeast United States reveals an Alarmingly High Prevalence of HCV among People who Inject Drugs (Resident Dr. Kerim Odekon).
- Seroprevalence of Chagas Disease among Latin Americans Living in Suffolk County, NY (ID Fellow Dr. Eric Sin, Grant from Healthy Americas Foundation)
- Key Clinical and Laboratory Features in Early Diagnosis of Ehrlichiosis in an Endemic Area of Long Island, NY (ID Fellow, Dr. Olga Kaplun, IDWeek 2018, Travel Award)
- The Role of Antimicrobial Stewardship Program on Appropriate Use, Dose and Duration of Vancomycin Treatment ((ID Fellow, Dr. Olga Kaplun, IDWeek 2018, Travel Award)
- Tick Borne Associated Thrombocytopenia Among United States Veterans in Long Island New York (ID Fellow, Dr. Olga Kaplun, IDWeek 2018, Travel Award)
- Serratia marcescens Strains Carrying blaKPC-2 and blaKPC-3 Carbapenemase Associated With Chronic Mechanical Ventilation (ID Fellow, Dr. Mathew Fisher, IDWeek 2018, Travel Award).
- Microfluidics as a New Tool to Assess Lifespan and Age-related Traits of Cryptococcus neoformans (Erika Orner, ASM 2017, Travel Award from Medical Mycology Society of the Americas/Immuno-Mycologics)
The current research projects are being conducted in three centers around the world: Madagascar, Peru and at Stony Brook, NY. The participants of these research projects include medical students, internal medicine residents, infectious diseases fellows and faculty from both the Division of Infectious Diseases and the Global Health Institute at Stony Brook.
- Understanding the cultural and epidemiological factors that perpetuate cysticercosis in Ifanadiana, Madagascar (Medical Students: Paul Castle, Koeun Choi, Jaydon Kiernan, and Hakami Lee)
- Epidemiology of Soil-transmitted Helminthiasis in Ifanadiana, Madagascar (Medical Students: Paul Castle, Koeun Choi, Jaydon Kiernan, and Hakami Lee)
- Clostridium difficile infection recurrence rate in patients treated with fidaxomicin in a single center over 4 years (ID fellow Dr. Robert Chow, IDWeek 2016, Travel Award)
- Clinical Presentation of Lyme Disease, Anaplasmosis and Ehrlichiosis in Hispanics (ID Fellow Dr. Yasin Abul, IDWeek 2016, Travel Award)
- Clinical Outcomes of Patients with Pneumonia Treated with Nebulized Tobramycin (ID fellow Dr. Robert Chow, IDWeek 2016, Travel Award)
- A Ten-year review of urinary tract infections in patients with indwelling nephrostomy tubes (ID fellow Dr. Bennadette Maramara, IDWeek 2016, Travel Award)
- Epidemiology of Neurocysticercosis at Stony Brook University Hospital, Long Island, NY (IM Resident, Dr. Amy Spallone, IDWeek 2016)
- Spontaneous sedimentation in tube technique is as sensitive as Kato-Katz for the diagnosis of soil-transmitted helminths and superior for the detection of Strongyloides stercoralis: a community-based study in the Amazon basin of Peru (mentee in Peru: Dr. George Vasquez, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru; abstract accepted at ASTMH 2016)
- High prevalence rates of soil-transmitted helminths in children who receive massive drug administration in a remote amazonian community in Peru (mentee in Peru: Dr. Renato Errea, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru. ASTMH 2016 Annual Meeting Travel Award)
- Improving Screening for Hepatitis C in Suffolk County Utilizing the Electronic Medical Record (QI project. ID fellow Dr. Teresa Khoo)