Sobia Khan, DO
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
Ongoing Research Projects:
- Endotoxin Activity Assay Results and Kidney Outcomes in Intensive Care Unit
PI: Sobia Khan
We would like to investigate the relationship between Endotoxin Activity Assay (EAA) results and health outcomes of diverse cohort of patients admitted to the intensive care unit in Stony Brook University Hospital in 2020. This is a prospective study in which the EAA results will be analyzed over time.
TIGRIS Trial: A Prospective, Multicenter, Randomized, Open-Label Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of PMX Cartridge in Addition to Standard Medical Care for Patients with Endotoxemic Septic Shock
PI: Sobia Khan
The primary objective is to compare the safety and efficacy of the PMX cartridge (Toraymyxin) based on mortality at 28 days in patients with septic shock and endotoxemia who are treated with standard medical care plus the use of the PMX cartridge, versus patients who receive standard medical care alone.
1. To compare changes in mean arterial blood pressure (MAP) from Day 0 to Day 3 in each group.
2. To compare changes in vasopressor doses from Day 0 to Day 3 in each group.
3. To compare the survival time from baseline to death within 28 days in each group.
4. To compare mortality at 28 days post baseline for patients with baseline norepinephrine dose, >0.1 mcg/kg/min in each group.
5. To compare mortality at 14 days post baseline in each group.
6. To compare total duration of vasopressor, use from Day 0 to Day 3 in each group.
ο Faculty for AKI and CRRT conference: Presenting Tigris Trial: An Update from Ongoing and Late Breaking Trials in San Diego, CA, 03/2022 https://crrtonline.com/crrtconference/program-workshops/
Mechanism of Adsorption Devices to remove Cytokines and Endotoxins
Completed Research Studies:
- Prevalence of Endotoxemia in Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19
PI: Sobia Khan
This was a retrospective study to investigate whether the Endotoxin Activity Assay level prognosticates acute kidney injury. We also investigated if the prevalence of increased endotoxemia coincided with increased hospital stay.
- Polymyxin B cartridge hemoperfusion for patients with septic shock and COVID 19
PI: Sandeep Mallipattu
Co-PI: Sobia Khan
- DCI Fund http://www.dciinc.org/stony-brook
- Stony Brook Department of Medicine Pilot Project (2020-2021)
- Intramural- Targeted Research Opportunity Program (Stony Brook University) – Clinical Research Awards (2021/2022)
- "Monitoring Hospitalized dialysis patients with COVID-19: repurposing baby monitors for patient and staff safety. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xkme.2020.10.004. Sobia Khan, Sandeep Mallipattu
- “Endotoxemia in Critically ill patients with COVID-19.” https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/518230#. Sobia Khan, Olena Bolotova, Haseena Sahib, Debra Foster, Sandeep Mallipattu
- Association of Endotoxemia with AKI in critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection (ASN 2021) Sobia Khan, Olena Bolotova, Chris R. Gordon, Sandeep Mallipattu
- Circulating Endotoxin levels correlate with kidney and mortality outcomes in critically ill patients (ASN 2021) Chang Kyung Kim, Sobia Khan, Fabliha Fairuz, Sandeep Mallipattu, Sian Piret (ASN 2021)
- Recreation with a Concerning diagnosis (ASN 2021) Sobia Khan, Heesukh Suh (ASN 2021)
- An Unusual Case of Complement Mediated TMA. Sobia Khan, Wilfred Lieberthal (ASN 2020)
- Repurposing Baby Monitors in COVID-19. Sobia Khan, Sandeep Mallipattu (ASN 2020 Abstract supplement)