The Department of Medicine has announced the recipients of the 2020 DoM Pilot Project Grant awards.
These recipients were selected from a slate of many meritorious applications, and collectively represent a group of really exciting research projects.
The five funded projects and their principal investigators are:
- Project title: Serum ceramide as a novel biomarker of anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity; PI: Christopher Clarke, Division of Hematology and Oncology; Mentor: Yusuf Hannun
- Project title: Developing MASQ and iCTC™ detection methods of circulating tumor DNA/invasive circulating tumor cells in Stage 4 colorectal cancer; PI: Yue Zhang, Division of Hematology and Oncology; Mentor: Ellen Li.
- Project title: Targeted molecular approach to therapy of pancreatic neoplasia; PI: Agnieszka Bialkowska, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology; Mentor: Vincent Yang.
- Project title: Targeting NADPH oxidase in pancreatic tumorigenesis; PI: Weiqin Lu, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology; Mentor: Vincent Yang
- *Project title: Pilot study to explore intra-tumoral heterogeneity using single cell RNA sequencing from resected lung cancer tumors; PI: Harold Bien, Division of Hematology and Oncology (Northport VA Medical Center); Mentor: Richard Lin (*This project will be funded by a generous grant from the Northport VA Medical Center).
We would like to thank all of the faculty who submitted applications and their mentors for supporting the projects.
We also thank members of the review committee that included Bettina Fries, Hussein Foda, Ellen Li, Sandeep Mallipattu, and Cungui Mao.
Please join us in congratulating all the awardees and wish them good luck in conducting their projects.
Marie Gelato, PhD, MD
Distinguished Service Professor
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism
Department of Medicine