The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit has a Clinical Skills Lab where our trainees, both residents and fellows, learn to master procedures. The Clinical Skills Lab provides an atmosphere where learning is promoted and teaching flourishes.
During orientation, the Neonatal-Perinatal Fellows participate in ‘Boot Camp Training’ for neonatal procedures, which occurs in the Clinical Skills Lab. During ‘Boot Camp Training’, incoming fellows are oriented to NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program), Positive Pressure Ventilation using Bag-Mask Ventilation and Neo PIP, Endotracheal Intubations, Lumbar Puncture, Umbilical Artery and Vein Catheterization, PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheterization) placement and Chest Tube placement. All competency based training sessions are offered by trained Simulation Instructors.
Summary of Skill Sessions
- Peds Intern Orientation to NICU Clinical Skills (Boot Camp training)
- Fellows Training Residents (NRP/Intubation/Umbilical Lines)
- NRP Certification/Instructor Course for Fellows
- Respiratory Physiology Ventilator Session
- Pig lung session with respiratory therapy
- Fellow Procedural Skills Training
- Intubation Skills
- PICC Insertion/Removal/Dressing Change
- Umbilical Line Insertion/Removal/Suturing
- Chest Tube Insertion/Removal
- IO Insertion
- Exchange Transfusion
- In-Situ Simulation