Melissa A Strafford, MD
Founded in 1999, the RYAN PROGRAM is a national initiative based at University of California's Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health in San Francisco. This program provides resources and technical expertise to departments of obstetrics and gynecology to establish a formal rotation in family planning- either by linking institutions with community partners such as Planned Parenthood or by expanding/establishing an outpatient family planning service within the academic medical center.
The Stony Brook Medicine Ryan Residency Training Program began in July 2014 under the direction of Dr. Melissa Strafford. Obstetrics and Gynecology residents participate in the Ryan Residency Training Rotation during the PGY-1 and PGY-2 years. The rotation is five weeks long, and a single resident is on the rotation at a time. The rotation is shared with ultrasound training that is supervised by core faculty members who perform gynecologic and obstetrical ultrasounds. The training program is in collaboration with Planned Parenthood Hudson Peconic in order to provide increased training in surgical and medical abortion. During the rotation residents will participate in family planning clinics, operating room cases and ultrasound sessions. Residents also attend sessions at a local Planned Parenthood with a core faculty member from Stony Brook Medicine. In addition, residents are expected to complete seven online didactic modules and quizzes. Partial participation options are available.
"To formally create dedicated family planning rotations in departments of obstetrics and gynecology in the United States and Canada."
- Pregnancy options counseling
- Contraceptive method choices, mechanism of actions, indications and contraindications
- Individualized contraceptive counseling for women with and without medical problems
- Ultrasound diagnosis of first trimester pregnancy, both normal and abnormal
- Ultrasound diagnosis of uterine and ovarian pathology
- Ultrasound localization of IUD
- Ultrasound guided IUD insertion and removal
- Medical management of early pregnancy failure
- Medication abortion
- Surgical techniques of uterine evacuation in first and second trimester
- Administration of local anesthesia and intravenous sedation
- Labor induction for pregnancy termination
- Management of complications related to first and second trimester pregnancy termination
- Provision of female sterilization
- Care of transgender patients
For more information, please visit www.ryanprogram.org