Gene Gindi, Ph.D.
•Associate Professor of Radiology and Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Ph.D. Optical Sciences, University of Arizona
- M.S. Optical Sciences, University of Arizona
- B.S. Applied Physics, California Institute of Technology
- 1981, Gradute College Fellowship, University of Arizona
- 1982, Graduate College Outstanding Dissertation Award, University of Arizona
- 1984, Rudolph Kingslake Medal and Prize, awarded annually in recognition of the most noteworthy original paper to appear in the journal of Optical Engineering
- 1993, SPIE Milestone Series, Selectiong of Journal Articles for Inclusion in a Reference Volume Contaning "Key Foundation Papers"
- 1997, Co-Chair of International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging
- 2001 & 2004, Honorable Mention in Poster Competition, SPIE Symposium on Medical Imaging
- 2005, Guest Editor, Journal of Medical Image Analysis
- Please click here to see a full list of articles published by Dr. Gindi on PubMed
- Please click here to see a complete list of articles published by Dr. Gindi
- The Medical Image Processing Lab, directed by Prof. Gene Gindi, conducts investigations in medical image processing and analysis. One interest is on reconstruction in emission tomography (PET and SPECT) with a focus on statistical reconstruction methods. We also work, through a collaboration with Dr. Wei Zhao's group, on problems in reconstruction and scatter correction for X-ray breast tomosynthesis. In addition, a significant part of our work has been in the area objective assessment of image quality. In this approach, performance on a mathematically defined task of clinical relevance (such as detection and localization of a lesion) is used as a figure of merit to guide the design imaging components and data processing along the imaging chain. We have used this approach to optimize the collimator design and the reconstruction in SPECT. This has been applied to neuroendocrine tumor imagine and is currently being applied to SPECT cardiac imaging. The lab was started in 1992.
- Please click here to be redirected to Dr. Gindi's Medical Imaging Processing labratory website.
Stony Brook Medicine
Department of Radiology
HSC Level 4, Room 120
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8460