Nashaat Turkman, Ph.D.
•Assistant Professor of Radiology
•Assistant Professor, Stony Brook Cancer Center
•Assistant Professor, (joint faculty), Department of Pharmacology
- Post Doc. The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX
- Molecular PET imaging of cancer and the central nervous system
- Early detection and profiling of Pancreatic, Breast and Brain cancers by PET imaging
- PET radiotracer development and validation in cell cultures and animal models
- PET radiotracer translation, “bench-to-clinic”
- Personalized medicine
- Drug discovery
- Synthetic organic chemistry
- 2002-2008: Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG).
- Please click here to see a list of articles published by Dr. Turkman on PubMed.
- Selected Publications:
1. Najjar AM, Manuri PR, Olivares S, Flores L 2nd, Mi T, Huls H, Shpall EJ, Champlin RE, Turkman N, Paolillo V, Roszik J, Rabinovich B, Lee DA, Alauddin M, Gelovani J, Cooper LJ. Imaging of Sleeping Beauty-Modified CD19-Specific T Cells Expressing HSV1-Thymidine Kinase by Positron Emission Tomography. Mol Imaging Biol. 2016, 18(6):838-848.
2. Robin Bonomi, Uday Mukhopadhyay, Aleksandr Shavrin, Hsien-Hsien Yeh, Anjoy Majhi, Sajeewa W. Dewage, Amer Najjar, Xin Lu, G. Andrés Cisneros, William P. Tong, Mian M. Alauddin, Ren-Shuan Liu, Thomas J. Mangner, Nashaat Turkman, Juri G. Gelovani, Novel Histone Deacetylase Class IIa Selective Substrate Radiotracers for PET Imaging of Epigenetic Regulation in the Brain, PLOS ONE, 2015, 10(8): e0133512.
3. Nashaat Turkman, Juri G. Gelovani and Mian M. Alauddin "An improved synthesis of 1′-[18F]fluoroethyl-β-D-lactose ([18F]-FEL) for PET imaging of pancreatic cancer" Journal of labelled compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2013, 56, 351-355.
4. Nashaat Turkman, Aleksander Shavrin, Leo Flores, Suren Soghomonian, Hsin Hsien Yeh, Andrei Volgin, Juri Gelovani and Mian Alauddin “Synthesis and preliminary evaluation of 18F-labeled 2-oxoquinoline derivatives for PET imaging of cannabinoid CB2 receptor” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, 2012, 39, 593-600.
5. Nashaat Turkman, Vincenzo Paolillo, Juri G. Gelovani and Mian M. Alauddin “An investigation on stereospecific fluorination at the 2′-arabino-position of pyrimidine nucleoside. Tetrahedron, 2012, 68, 10326-10332.
6. Nashaat Turkman, Ashutosh Pal, William Tong, Juri G. Gelovani and Mian M. Alauddin “Radiosynthesis of 1′-[18F]fluoroethyl-β-D-lactose (18F-FEL) for early detection of pancreatic carcinomas with PET” Journal of labelled compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2011, 54, 233-238.
7. Nashaat Turkman, Aleksandr Shavrin, Roman A. Ivanov, Brian Rabinovich, Andre Volgin, Juri G. Gelovani and Mian M. Alauddin “Fluorinated Cannabinoid CB2 Receptor Ligands: Synthesis and in vitro Binding Characteristics of 2-Oxoquinoline derivatives” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 2011, 19, 5698–5707.
8. Nashaat Turkman, Juri G. Gelovani and Mian M. Alauddin “Radiosynthesis of N5-[18F]fluoroacetyl ornithine ([18F]NFAO) for PET imaging of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) in malignant tumor” Journal of labelled compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2011, 53, 33-37.
9. Nashaat Turkman, Lingling Ann, Martin Pomerantz “One Pot Desulfuration-Fluorination-Bromination. Synthesis of 2,5-Dibromo-3-(1,1-difluoroalkyl)thiophene” Organic Letters, 2010, 12, 4428-4430
10. Nashaat Turkman, Juri G. Gelovani and Mian M. Alauddin “A novel method for stereospecific fluorination at the 2′-arabino-position of pyrimidine nucleoside: Synthesis of [18F]-FMAU” Journal of labelled compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals. 2010, 53, 782-786.
11. Martin Pomerantz, Nashaat Turkman, “A Facile and Improved Synthesis of 3-Fluorothiophene”, Synthesis, 2008, 2333-2336.
Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University
Department of Radiology
HSC Level 4, Room 120
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8460