Paul Vaska, Ph.D.
•Professor and Scientist of Biomedical Engineering
- Post Doc, Research Physicist, ADAC/UGM Medical Systems, 1997-2000
- Ph.D. Nuclear Physics, Stony Brook University, 1997
- M.A. Physics, Stony Brook University
- B.A. Physics, Clarkson University
- Presidental Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (US Department of Energy)
- Novel Application of the year for R4/P4 microPET Scanner (Concorde Microsystems)
- Please click here to see a full list of articles published by Dr. Vaska on PubMed
- Please click here to see a complete list of articles published by Dr. Vaska
- Highlighted Publications:
- 1. Leone Gold ME, Schulz D, Budassi M, Gignac PM, Vaska P, Norell MA. Flying starlings, PET and the evolution of volant dinosaurs. Curr Biol. 2016 Apr 4;26(7):R265-7. PubMed PMID: 27046806.
- 2. Vaska P, Cao T. The state of instrumentation for combined positron emission tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. Semin Nucl Med. 2013 Jan;43(1):11-8. PubMed PMID: 23178085.
- 3. Schulz D, Southekal S, Junnarkar SS, Pratte JF, Purschke ML, Stoll SP, Ravindranath B, Maramraju SH, Krishnamoorthy S, Henn FA, O'Connor P, Woody CL, Schlyer DJ, Vaska P. Simultaneous assessment of rodent behavior and neurochemistry using a miniature positron emission tomograph. Nat Methods. 2011 Apr;8(4):347-52. PubMed PMID: 21399637.
- 4. Volkow ND, Tomasi D, Wang GJ, Vaska P, Fowler JS, Telang F, Alexoff D, Logan J, Wong C. Effects of cell phone radiofrequency signal exposure on brain glucose metabolism. JAMA. 2011 Feb 23;305(8):808-13. PubMed PMID: 21343580; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3184892
- My group develops quantitative PET techniques, especially for the human brain and in preclinical models with an emphasis on the underlying physics. We have pioneered multiple new types of medical imaging instrumentation and data processing algorithms. In particular, we developed the RatCAP conscious animal PET scanner and one of the first simultaneous PET/MRI systems for rodents.
- Please click here to be redirected to Dr. Vaska's Biomedical Engineering Research website
Stony Brook Medicine
Department of Radiology
HSC Level 4, Room 120
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8460