Xiang He, Ph.D.
•Assistant Professor of Radiology
- Post Doc, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, USA
- Ph.D., System Design Engineering, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- B.S. Physics, Peking University, Beijing, China
- 2010, Invited speaker at Gordon Research Conference on in vivo Magnetic Resonance
The research in my lab focuses on the development quantitative MRI techniques for non-invasively assessing perfusion, diffusion, water exchange, neuro-metabolites and oxidative metabolism in multiple organs such as brain, kidney, liver and musculoskeletal tissues. I have proposed and validated the biophysical mechanism for observed tissue MR phase contrast among different brain tissue types. I have developed several novel innovative MRI techniques to assess microscopic organization and micro-circulation in human tendons and ligaments. I have extensive research on using arterial spin labeling (ASL) to probe the water exchange in multiple body organs, including kidney glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and filtration fraction, brain transmembrane water transport, and blood- brain barrier (BBB) water permeability. My recent work on IDEALS approach enables whole-brain BBB water permeability applicable to multiple neurological and psychiatric diseases.
- He Xiang, Yablonskiy DA. Quantitative BOLD: mapping of human cerebral deoxygenated blood volume and oxygen extraction fraction: default state. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2007, 57(1):115-126.
- He Xiang, Yablonskiy DA. Biophysical mechanisms of phase contrast in gradient echo MRI, PNAS 2009; 106(32):13558-63.
- Luo J, He Xiang and Yablonskiy DA, Magnetic Susceptibility Induced White Matter MR Signal Frequency Shifts - Experimental Comparison between Lorentzian Sphere and Generalized Lorentzian Approaches, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2014, 71(3):1251-63.
- He Xiang, Aghayev A, Gumus S, Bae K. Ty, “Estimation of Single-Kidney Glomerular Filtration Rate without Exogenous Contrast Agent”, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 2014, 71(1):257-66.
- He Xiang, Wengler K, and Schweitzer M, Diffusion Sensitivity of 3D-GRASE in Arterial Spin Labeling Perfusion, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2018, 80(2):736-747.
- Wengler KT, Schweitzer M, He Xiang, Diffusion tensor imaging of human Achilles tendon by stimulated echo readout-segmented EPI (ste-RS-EPI), Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2018, 80(6):2464-2474.
- Wengler K, Bangiyev L, Canli T, Duong T, Schweitzer M and He Xiang, 3D MRI of Whole-Brain Water Permeability with Intrinsic Diffusivity Encoding of Arterial Labeled Spin (IDEALS), NeuroImage 2019; 189:401-414.
- Wengler K, Ha J, Syritsyna O, Bangiyev L, Coyle PK, Duong T, Schweitzer M and He Xiang, Abnormal blood-brain barrier water exchange in chronic multiple sclerosis lesions: A preliminary study, Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2020; 70:126-133.
Please click here to see a full list of articles published by Dr. He
Stony Brook Medicine
Department of Radiology
HSC Level 4, Room 120
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8460