- SUNY at Albany 1979 - B.S.
- New York Univeristy 1983 - M.D.
- Booth Memorial Hospital, New York, N.Y. - Internship
- Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University, New York, N.Y. - Residency
- Obstetric Anesthesia, Columbia University, New York, N.Y. - Fellowship
- Dr. Steinberg joined the department in 1988. She was Chief of the OB Anesthesia Division from 1993-2020. She served as the Anesthesiology Residency Program Director from 2000-2008 and was Vice Chair of Education from 2003-2012. She is an accomplished educator, and was nominated “Teacher of the Year” awards twice and mentored many faculty and residents. Ellen played an instrumental role in the planning, design and organization of the current Labor and Delivery Unit which opened in 2011 and invested much of her time in the smooth running of the unit, with almost 4000 deliveries a year. Ellen participated actively in many committees, both locally and at the state level. She established the Obstetric Anesthesia Consult service at Stony Brook to improve the anesthesia care for the high-risk and complex obstetric patients. At the state level, Dr. Steinberg has served on the NYS ACOG Safe Motherhood Initiative in its various forms over the past ten years and she continues to be active. She recently completed a two-year term on the first NYC DOH Maternal Mortality Review Committee and is currently the only obstetric anesthesiologist on the newly formed NYS DOH Maternal Morbidity and Mortality Committee. She retired from Stony Brook in 2020.
- PubMed Search
Abola R, Romeiser J, Grewal S, Rizwan S, Adsumelli R, Steinberg E, Bennett-Guerrero E.
Association of postoperative nausea/vomiting and pain with breastfeeding success.
Perioper Med (Lond). 2017 Nov 22;6:18
- Costa AC, Satalich JR, Al-Bizri E, Shodhan S, Romeiser JL, Adsumelli R, Abola RE, Steinberg ES, Bennett-Guerrero E.
A ten-year retrospective study of post-dural puncture headache in 32,655 obstetric patients.
Can J Anaesth. 2019 Sep 17.
- Josma J, Steinberg ES, Costa AC, Schabel JE.
Management of a Parturient With Brugada Syndrome.
- Steinberg ES.
The Pregnant Patient for Non-Obstetric Surgery.
- Weng M, Gonzalez A, Brown A, Steinberg E, Kogan A, Costa A.
Anesthetic Management of an Obstetric Patient With Placenta Percreta.
- Yau G, Azim SA, Steinberg ES.
Atypical Postpartum Headache: PDPH Or Preeclampsia?
- Wetcher A, Yau G, Wang K, Schabel J, Steinberg E.
Anesthetic Management Of A Parturient With A Hypoplastic Right Ventricle.
- Romeiser JL, Abola R, Cavalcante J, Steinberg E, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guererro E.
Feasibility of Collecting Patient Reported Outcomes Using Web-Based Methods in Labor and Delivery Patients.
- Romeiser J, Abola RE, Cavalcante J, Steinberg E, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E.
Feasibility of Collecting Patient Reported Outcomes Using Web-based Methods in Labor and Delivery Patients.
- Wetcher A, Yau G, Wang K, Steinberg E, Schabel J.
Anesthetic Management of A Parturient with A Hypoplastic Right Ventricle.