The Division of General Anesthesia encompasses not only general surgery, trauma surgery and surgical oncology but also oversees perioperative services and critical care. Stony Brook University Hospital serves as the only Level 1 Trauma center for the nearly 1.5 million people of Suffolk County. A 20 bed Surgical Intensive Care Unit which is run by both surgical and anesthesia faculty. Additional Critical Care takes place in our Coronary Care Unit, Medical Intensive Care, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neonatal Intensive Care Units.
- Tazeen Beg, MD is Chief of the Division of Non-Operating Room Anesthesia (NORA).
- Lesley Bennici, MD joined our department in 2018 after an Anesthesia Residency at New York University School of Medicine.
- Michelle DeLemos, MD serves as the Assistant Residency Program Director for the department.
- Amruta Desai, DO, MPH, MBA joined our department in January 2021 after doing a fellowship in Pain Medicine at UMass Medical School.
- Christopher M. Gidicsin, MD joined our department in July 2020. He did his anesthesiology residency at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Martin Griffel, MD is Associate Chief Medical Officer for the hospital.
- Amy Gruen, DO.
- Slawomir P. Oleszak, MD
- Shaji Poovathoor, MD is Associate Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology and the Director of Resident Development. He has won numerous teaching awards.
- Deborah Richman, MB, ChB, FFA(SA) is the Section Chief for Pre-Operative Services and Past President of SPAQI (Society of Perioperative Assessment and Quality Improvement).
- Kenneth Rosenfeld, MD is the Vice Chair for Clinical Affairs and the Director of Perioperative Services
- Stephen A. Vitkun, MD, MBA, PhD is a Distinguished Teaching Professor and the Vice-Chair for Special Projects
- Meng Wang, MD, PhD
The division of general anesthesiology provides a diverse, well rounded experience for both residents and attendings, from the most basic aspects of the practice of anesthesiology up to the most demanding and complex. Residents will gain significant experience in dealing with complex multi-trauma cases including closed head injury, intra-abdominal injury and major orthopedic injury simultaneously. Although uncommon in this geographic area, penetrating trauma is managed by our trauma services as well. Trauma/Critical Care experience is augmented by a four-week rotation in the 20 bed Surgical Intensive Care Unit which is run by both surgical and anesthesia faculty. Additional Critical Care experience can be done on an elective basis in our Coronary Care Unit, Medical Intensive Care, Pediatric Intensive Care and Neonatal Intensive Care Units.
- CA-1: Four-week rotation with close faculty supervision immediately following the six-week introduction for new residents. Focus is on patient management and problem solving in the OR. The clinical experience is supplemented with medical simulation of routine cases and critical events. Dedicated PACU rotation. Advanced airway management.
- CA-2: There is a focus on invasive monitoring and transesophogeal echocardiography for the diagnosis of ischemia and monitoring of volume status. Residents rotate through Vascular Anesthesia for four weeks with a focus on minimally invasive endovascular procedures. There is also some exposure to major vascular procedures and the physiologic changes associated with surgical procedures involving aortic cross clamping.
- CA-3: This is an advanced clinical rotation for major general and radical oncologic procedures. The focus is on increasing complex patients with multiple co-morbid conditions. Senior residents are given increasing independence as they gain additional experience in the management of these patients. They also rotate through “Airway II”, a two-week block focusing on management of the difficult airway. Senior residents are given additional responsibilities as team leader on call and assist in the triage and management of patients involved in emergent surgical procedures.
▶ A day in the life of a Resident on General Rotation ...
▶ A day in the life of a Resident on Advanced Clinical Rotation ...
▶ A day in the life of a Resident on Vascular Rotation ...
▶ A day in the life of a Resident doing a Trauma case ...
▶ A day in the life of a Resident on Pre-op Rotation ...
Recent Division Activity
Recent PublicationsResident authors denoted by bold type
- Alvarez-Nebreda ML, Bentov N, Urman RD, Setia S, Huang JC, Pfeifer K, Bennett K, Ong TD, Richman DC, Gollapudi D, Alec-Rooke G, Javedan H. Recommendations for Preoperative Management of Frailty from the Society for Perioperative Assessment and Quality Improvement (SPAQI). J Clin Anesth. 2018 Mar 15;47:33-42.
- Richman DC, Pulley DD. Preoperative Assessment and Management. In: Musculoskeletal and AutoImmune. Sweitzer BJ (ed). Wolters Kluwer 2018
- Wong J, An D, Urman RD, Warner DO, Tønnesen H, Raveendran R, Abdullah HR, Pfeifer K, Maa J, Finegan B, Li E, Webb A, Edwards AF, Preston P, Bentov N, Richman DC, Chung F. Society for Perioperative Assessment and Quality Improvement (SPAQI) Consensus Statement on Perioperative Smoking Cessation. Anesth Analg. 2019 Nov 18.
- Roberts SM, Klick J, Fischl A, King TS, Cios TJ. A Comparison of Transesophageal to Transthoracic Echocardiographic Measures of Right Ventricular Function. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2019 Dec 6.
- Abbasi S, Singh F, Griffel M, Murphy PF. A Process Approach to Decreasing Hospital Onset Clostridium difficile Infections. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2020;46(3):146‐152.
- Spaniolas K, Nie L, Moller D, Tatarian T, Hesketh A, Yang J, Docimo S, Bates A, Gan TJ, Pryor A. A Comprehensive Approach for the Prevention of Nausea and Vomiting Following Sleeve Gastrectomy: a Randomized Controlled Trial. Obes Surg. 2020 Jun 25.
- Rubano JA, Jasinski PT, Rutigliano DN, Tassiopoulos AK, Davis JE, Beg T, Poovathoor S, Bergese SD, Ahmad S, Jawa RS, Vosswinkel JA, Talamini MA. Tracheobronchial Slough, a Potential Pathology in Endotracheal Tube Obstruction in Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the Intensive Care Setting. Ann Surg. 2020 May 20. PMID:32433291.
- Wiggans M, Arias F, Urman RD, Richman DC, Sweitzer BJ, Edwards AF, Armstrong MJ, Chopra A, Libon DJ, Price C. Common neurodegenerative disorders in the perioperative setting: Recommendations for screening from the Society for Perioperative Assessment and Quality Improvement (SPAQI). Perioper Care Oper Room Manag 2020, vol 20.
- Richman PS, Richman DC. The role of cardiopulmonary exercise testing in perioperative risk assessment. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2020 Nov 25.
- Beg T. Reflections of an Ambulatory Anesthesiologist from the COVID Front Lines. SAMBA Link Member News I Summer 2020.
- Escobar DP, Richman DC, Wang M. Airway Management of Lower Paratracheal Mass. ASA 2018
- Fleischer L, Richman DC, Brown A. 23 And You: How Genetics Can Impact Your Anesthetic and Your Life. Perioperative Medicine Summit Fort Lauderdale FL Mar 2018
- Cheung RJ, Richman DC. Propofol Induced Seizure-Like Phenomenon. Perioperative Medicine Summit Orlando FL Feb 2019
- Romeiser JL, Cavalcante J, Richman D, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guererro E. Feasibility of Collecting Perioperative Patient Reported Outcomes Using Web-Based Methods in ERAS Patients. ASER 2019
- Moller D, Romeiser J, Wu AR, Cannizzo J, Bennett-Guerrero E. Heart Rate Variability During Surgery: What Changes are Observed During Incision and Opioid Administration? ASA 2019
- Romeiser J, Cavalcante J, Richman DC, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E. Feasibility of Collecting Perioperative Patient Reported Outcomes Using Web-based Methods in ERAS Patients. ASA 2019
- Ma S, Adrahtas D, Oleszak SP. Anesthesia Considerations for a 70 Year Old Male with Relapsing Polychondritis Involving the Airway for Elective Inguinal Hernia Repair. ASA 2019
- Figueroa C, Fischl A, Sanchez C. Intraoperative Management Of HITT With Bivalirudin During Carotid Endarterectomy. PGA 2019
- Cervo K, Richman D. Complications of Head and Neck Radiation – Beyond the Difficult Airway. PGA 2019
- Kang R, Shuaib K, Oleszak S. Airway Management of A Patient with Ludwigs Angina. PGA 2019
- Ma S, Oleszak S, Adrahtas D. Relapsing Polychondritis with Airway Involvement Presents For Elective Surgery. PGA 2019
- Mathew A, Adsumelli R, Gupta AK, Richman D. Propofol Associated Acute Pancreatitis Following General Anesthesia: A Case Report. Perioperative Medicine Summit, Orlando Mar 2020
- Cervo K, Richman D. Complications of neck radiation – beyond the difficult airway. Perioperative Medicine Summit, Orlando Mar 2020
- Taft A, Lee A, Richman D, Gupta AK. Pre-Operative Evaluation and Intraoperative Management of a Patient with EDAC (Excessive dynamic airways collapse). PGA 2020
- Kang RS, Beg T, Mavarez-Martinez A, Punta C, Bergese SD. Clinical Features of COVID-19 Patients Requiring Endotracheal Tube Exchange. PGA 2020