The Critical Care Section is part of the General Anesthesia Division of the department. We focus mainly on the cardiovascular ICU. The CVICU takes care of a wide variety of post-operative cardiac, thoracic, and vascular surgical patients, including LVAD and ECMO patients, for which Stony Brook is the major center in Suffolk County, serving a population of 1.5 million. All of the intensivists who work in the CVICU are members of the Department of Anesthesiology. Intensivists supervise dedicated critical care physician assistants, PGY2/3 surgery residents, and PGY2/3 anesthesiology residents.
- Elliott Bennett-Guerrero, MD is Vice Chair for Clinical Research in the Department of Anesthesiology and also serves the hospital as Medical Director of Perioperative Quality & Patient Safety. He is an internationally recognized clinical researcher with numerous high impact publications and significant extramural funding.
- Martin Griffel, MD is Associate Chief Medical Officer for the hospital.
- Shaji Poovathoor, MD is Associate Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology and the Director of Resident Development. He has won numerous teaching awards.
- Jonathon Schwartz, MD joined our faculty in September 2019 after having done a Critical Care Medicine Fellowship at Stanford University.
Anesthesia residents rotate through the CVICU for a total of two 4-week blocks, starting at the end of the CA-1 year and through CA-2 year. During their time in the CVICU they learn about the post-operative management of post cardiac, thoracic and vascular surgery patients. They also gain experience and better understanding of mechanical circulatory support, including intra-aortic balloon pumps, ECMO and LVADs. While working alongside the intensivists and a group of skilled dedicated critical care PA’s, residents also get experience placing a variety of arterial and venous lines, as well as point of care critical care ultrasound, including TTE and lung ultrasonography. In addition, there are a number of didactic lectures provided during the resident’s time in the ICU by the intensivists, who also act as mentors for residents who are interested in pursuing academic projects.
Recent Section Activity
Recent PublicationsResident authors denoted by bold type
- Noll E, Romeiser J, Shodhan S, Madariaga MC, Guo X, Rizwan S, Al-Bizri E, Bennett-Guerrero E. Feedback Simulation for Acupressure Training and Skill Assessment. Simul Healthc. 2017 Aug;12(4):220-225.
- Noll E, Shodhan S, Madariaga MC, Page CR, Santangelo D, Guo X, Al Bizri E, Pryor AD, Romeiser J, Bennett-Guerrero E. Randomized trial of acupressure to improve patient satisfaction and quality of recovery in hospitalized patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2017 Mar 7;18(1):110.
- Stowell C, Bennett-Guerrero E. The Decision to Transfuse: One Size Might Not Fit All. Crit Care Med. 2017 May;45(5):908-910
- Bampoe S, Odor PM, Dushianthan A, Bennett-Guerrero E, Cro S, Gan TJ, Grocott MP, James MF, Mythen MG, O'Malley CM, Roche AM, Rowan K, Burdett E. Perioperative administration of buffered versus non-buffered crystalloid intravenous fluid to improve outcomes following adult surgical procedures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Sep 21;9.
- DeMaria S Jr., Bennett-Guerrero E. Examining the Methodology of the Transfusion Requirements in Cardiac Surgery-III (TRICS-III) Trial: Third Time's a Charm? J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2018 Feb;32(1):130-131.
- Raghunathan K, Singh M, Nathanson BH, Bennett-Guerrero E, Lindenauer PK. Early Blood Transfusions in Sepsis: Unchanged Survival and Increased Costs. Am J Crit Care. 2018 May;27(3):205-211.
- Noll E, Shodhan S, Varshney A, Gallagher C, Diemunsch P, Florence FB, Romeiser J, Bennett-Guerrero E. Trainability of Cricoid Pressure Force Application: A Simulation-Based Study. Anesth Analg. 2018 May 9.
- Abbasi S, Singh F, Griffel M, Murphy PF. A Process Approach to Decreasing Hospital Onset Clostridium difficile Infections. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2020;46(3):146‐152.
- Stony Brook COVID-19 Research Consortium. Mallipattu SK, Jawa R, Moffitt R, Hajagos J, Fries B, Nachman S, Gan TJ, Saltz M, Saltz J, Kaushansky K, Skopicki H, Abell-Hart K, Chaudhri I, Deng J, Garcia V, Gayen S, Kurc T, Bolotova O, Yoo J, Dhaliwal S, Nataraj N, Sun S, Tsai C, Wang Y, Abbasi S, Abdullah R, Ahmad S, Bai K, Bennett-Guerrero E, Chua A, Gomes C, Griffel M, Kalogeropoulos A, Kiamanesh D, Kim N, Koraishy F, Lingham V, Mansour M, Marcos L, Miller J, Poovathoor S, Rubano J, Rutigliano D, Sands M, Santora C, Schwartz J, Shroyer K, Spitzer S, Stopeck A, Talamini M, Tharakan M, Vosswinkel J, W Wertheim. Geospatial Distribution and Predictors of Mortality in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19: A Cohort Study. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020 Sep 14;7(10):ofaa436.
- Rubano JA, Jasinski PT, Rutigliano DN, Tassiopoulos AK, Davis JE, Beg T, Poovathoor S, Bergese SD, Ahmad S, Jawa RS, Vosswinkel JA, Talamini MA. Tracheobronchial Slough, a Potential Pathology in Endotracheal Tube Obstruction in Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the Intensive Care Setting. Ann Surg. 2020 May 20.
- Abola RE, Schwartz J, Forrester JD, Gan TJ. A Practical Guide for Anesthesia Providers on the Management of COVID-19 Patients in the Acute Care Hospital. Anesth Analg. 2020 Oct 26.
- Noll E, Soler L, Ohana M, Ludes PO, Pottecher J, Bennett-Guerrero E, Veillon F, Goichot B, Schneider F, Meyer N, Diemunsch P. A novel, automated, quantification of abnormal lung parenchyma in patients with COVID-19 infection: Initial description of feasibility and association with clinical outcome. Anaesth Crit Care Pain Med. 2020 Nov 13:S2352-5568(20)30266-6.
- Bennett-Guerrero E, Rizwan S, Rozensky R, Romeiser JL, Brittelli J, Makaryus R, Lin J, Galanakis DK, Triulzi DJ, Moon RE . Randomized controlled trial of 7, 28, vs 42 day stored red blood cell transfusion on oxygen delivery (VO2 max) and exercise duration. Transfusion. 2020 Dec 27.
- Freedenberg AT, Pan CH, Diehl WE, Romeiser JL, Hwang GR, Leiton CV, Muecksch F, Shroyer KR, Bennett-Guerrero E. Neutralizing Activity to SARS-CoV-2 of Convalescent and Control Plasma Used in a Randomized Controlled Trial. Transfusion. 2021 Jan 15.
- Abola RE, Romeiser J, Rizwa S, Gupta R, Bennett-Guerrero E. Randomized Controlled Trial of Sugammadex versus Neostigmine for Reversal of Neuromuscular Blockade: Impact on Measures of Early Postoperative Strength. ASA 2018
- Abola RE, Lian X, Zhang J, Adsumelli RS, Romeiser J, Blaber J, Griffin T, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E. Evaluation of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) Program for Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery. ASA 2018
- Izrailtyan I, Poppers JS, Kowal RA, Zabirowicz E, Nie L, Romeiser JL, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E. Perioperative TEE Continuous Quality Improvement Program. ASA 2018
- Smith J, Probst S, Calandra C, Davis R, Sugimoto K, Nie L, Gan TJ, Bennett-Guerrero E. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Program in Patients Undergoing Lumbar Fusion. ASA 2018
- Xiao A, Kim B, Schwartz J. Vent: a User Friendly Application for the Inexperienced Clinician Managing Ventilators in the Intensive Care Setting. ASA 2020
- Kang R, Kowal RA, Schwartz J. Anesthetic Management of a Patient with a Tracheo-innominate Artery Fistula. ASA 2020
- Parsey D, Shuaib K, Watson E, Schwartz J Kowal RA, Poppers JS. Diagnosis and Management of Unique Gerbode Defect Variation Consisting of a Bi-atrial Regurgitant Jet At the Base of the Inter-atrial Septum Originating From the Left Ventricular Outflow Tract. ASA 2020